Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to upgrade my fuel pump to the Walbro 255, but wanted to change the sending unit at the same time. I've seen multiple part numbers and some very different photos of the sending unit for the Turbocharged cars.

I can take the old one out...but I'd like to order the new one in advance and do the "quick swap" when
my fuel pump gets here.

This one, the FG64A seems correct, but I've seen several which have much longer fuel pick-up pipes
on them.

Also, any secrets to the new fuel pump install? Is the Walbro really a form fit function replacement?

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards, Philip
Product Font Screenshot Auto part Web page

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I'll take a look

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I think the best thing to do would be to pull the sender unit out and compare it to what's shown in Group 14 Fuel:

There were a few different types of sender units available at the time.
Jan shows one style of sender that looks like it's for the style that used an outside fuel pump.
My link shows the all in one pump/sender type.
Look at your tank and see if there is 1 or 2 units on the passenger side.
Removing and comparing to the illustrations in the link will tell you exactly which one you have.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the help,
I had no idea until I got the car up on a lift today, that there are two holes in the tank! I presume one is the sending unit and the return line, and one is the fuel pump and high pressure line?

Is the one on the right with 3 wires the fuel pump?
-- I base this on the other end, at the engine the thicker line is the return line,

Best Regards, Philip

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Wood

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have photos of the Walbro pump assembled and ready to go back into the tank. The kit I received from FWD Performance seems to have a 1000 bits in it, I suspect most of these I don't need? The instructions from Walbro ( TI Automotive ) are generic. A few photos would go a long way!

Best Regards,
Philip

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
The Walbro is a great pump.
When I replaced the original with that one, it was a little bigger and as far as I can remember, I had to remove a plastic mount that was used on the original pump.
I bought the Walbro 190 because I was running it stock.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I took the car apart today, low and behold, I believe it has a Walbro in it. I have very faint memory of having my mechanic do this in the early 1990s...

I looked at it, I don't think the fuel pump comes out without drilling out the rivets. Does that make sense?

Best Regards,
Philip

Gas Wood Wire Paint Metal

Safety glove Bicycle handlebar Electrical wiring Gas Glove

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I don't remember there being pop-rivets, but it was 8 years ago that I replaced mine so...
I'd replace that hose with new F.I. rated hose, and add heat shrink to the red wire where it connects to the contact on the outer plate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts