Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 daytona 2.5 turbo

lots of modifcations, 248whp / 300 wtq @ 17 psi, details elsewhere on this forum

SO, I started off today with THIS exhaust system:

2.5" garrett swingvalve
2.5" stock downpipe
2.5" crappy ass catalytic converter from kragen/autozone (stock replacement, probably flowed TERRIBLY)
3" cat back exhaust from turbosunleashed
3" magnaflow straight-through glass pack muffler

i had the ABOVE exhaust system when i recently dynoed 248whp / 300wtq @ 17 psi

and by the end of today I had finished doing THIS:

replacing 2.5" downpipe with 3" downpipe from fwdperformance
replacing cat with VERY VERY VERY high flow "cat" (wow that honeycomb is so thin you cant even see it! WINK WINK)

first thing i noticed:

exhaust had much less high-frequency muffling, so pops sounded like POPS and there were the typical scratchy and raspy noises...NICE! definitely not too loud at all, very nice additions to the sound smorgasborg. basically it was like turning the trebel from OFF to 75% of the way up

second thing i noticed:

i can hear the turbo spool up IMMEDIATELY when I touch the gas...im not saying it generates BOOST when I blip the throttle, but now its like the turbo whine is hooked up to the accelerator pedal...this is definitely evidence of superior flow. with the 2.5" DP and the crappy cat, i didnt hear the turbo start whining unless i gave it a fair amount of throttle under load and waited a while...no WAY could i make it start whining just sitting there with no load

so..here are some pics

· Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!

the 3" TU cat back needed to be cut to make it over the rear torsion bar. i did a full review of this elsewhere on here. i cut it twice and swapped the pieces around to get it to fit. it may have been possible to cut it only once. it still hits the drivers side rear brake line bracket and is not centered in the tranny tunnel, so i will probably cut it once more in the middle of the S bend, take off about 1" and then splice it together so the S is shorter and doesnt hit on the sides.

· Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep. no leaks that i can hear. those clamps are PRICELESS. make installing a system like this where you are trying out this and that SOOOO much easier. and i believe you mean welding not soldering :)

· Legendary Driver
11,047 Posts
can you maybe jack the the left rear and take the wheel off and take some pics of that area of the exhaust from the 2nd 90 back to the front of the muffler? I just put my TU catback kit on and it was far from a bolt on. Granted it's on an 87 yorker but I had to add 8" to the pipe going over the axle and it is still exiting the car at an angle. I have pics but need to get them up on the net. Just curious how you did it different. Mines welded up to the end of hte over axle pipe so it's permanent. I need 1 more 30 degree pipe to get it to point straight out the back.

· Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i hear ya. ill try to take some pics for you.

i cut that final bent piece into three sections, and then swapped the rear piece into the middle, and vice versa, in order to get just the right angle.

· Registered
709 Posts
that sounds amazing! :thumb:

yeah the clamps we use at work on the rigs are the same thing just bigger we call the piece a "little joint" that goes in the clamp to stop the leaks where the clamp is bolted together its an aluminum foil type material.

after i found out they make em for car sized exhaust, i've never used the autozone crunch clamps again. then come inspection time or something, it all comes apart and theres no cutting or swearing to get it all apart

· Registered
156 Posts
yep. no leaks that i can hear. those clamps are PRICELESS. make installing a system like this where you are trying out this and that SOOOO much easier. and i believe you mean welding not soldering :)

So why didn't you position the band clamp with the bolts on the top or side of the pipe to give better ground clearance? I've tried using these type clamps b4 but couldn't stop the exhaust leaks! System look really good and I can't wait to help out my 85 Shelby Charger ....with a real turbo exhaust system! Why did you use the Magnaflow muffler over the Dynomax Ultraflow?

· Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
only reason i bought the magnaflow was because turbosunleashed had it in stock when i bought the exhaust.

i believe the dynomax ultraflow actually has a 4" internal diameter which would be superior to the magnaflow 3".

my exhaust setup no longer looks like the above pictures. it was rubbing alot so i took it to an exhaust shop and they welded a section together for the rear area and all the clamps are turned up now...MUCH better

· Registered
156 Posts
only reason i bought the magnaflow was because turbosunleashed had it in stock when i bought the exhaust.

i believe the dynomax ultraflow actually has a 4" internal diameter which would be superior to the magnaflow 3".

my exhaust setup no longer looks like the above pictures. it was rubbing alot so i took it to an exhaust shop and they welded a section together for the rear area and all the clamps are turned up now...MUCH better
I figured you would be rubbing on speed bumps and sharp driveways tops! Were your clamp sealing with perfection? I've tried those before and I like the old school exhaust clamps better!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.