Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, i use to have a 400+hp srt but car payments were getting too much for a car i would break every week..So i purchased a 1989 Horizon and pretty much a full srt wreck minus the shell...I have all the wiring...motor.. the front k frame with brakes..Tranny..steering column, you name it i got it..

Now ive been looking around on here for a couple of weeks and i see alot of people were talking about how the srt tranny wont fit...but all the posts are from about 2 years ago..Also i know about the trouble with the intake manifold which isnt too big of a problem.

Motor threw a rod, so its gonna be rebuilt... we just have everything on it to mock up in the car and get all the mounts straight, then pull it and build/paint the motor and the car...its gonna have a garrett 60-1..ported intake mani and lorenzo throttle body..Srt computer with SCT Reflash, with a SafcII for tuning...Custom Fuel system which i havent decided yet.

Im prob missing alot because there is so much and im too excited to start..this is my first real build of a car from the ground up.

Im gonna really start getting into things this weekend..so any Advice and constructive criticism would be awesome and appreciated :D

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Nice project. Should be very similar to my current buildup I'm working on in mine. I think it'd be easier to go with a MegaSquirt, but I won't knock your plans. If you get hungup while trying to do it, shoot me a line and I'll help you out with the MegaSquirt route.. :)

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Dang nice idea a cant wait to see the progress and the final outcome of this. Its gonna be sweet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys! So does anyone know for sure if the srt tranny isnt gonna fit?

And about the megasquirt, i have all the electronics and the sct reflash already..but if i run into any problems running it ill go with the megasquirt idea...I like the whole fact of tuning it myself, so maybe down the line ill go with the ems standalone

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
The hardest part about using the stock electronics will be dealing with the chipped key.. If you can get past that, it's just a matter of merging the two different car's wiring harnesses. You will need to use the SRT4 cluster, since it's part of the car's CAN bus.

As for fitting the transmission.. Meh.. Not a clue.. What I do know is there are a LOT of people who have serious issues with the SRT4 transmission.. Snapped shift forks mostly, from what I've seen. It may not even be worth the hassle.. Sell it to an SRT4 guy that NEEDS it, and then use a TD transmission instead.. Should be able to get enough for the SRT4 trans to at least buy an OBX LSD, if not a full blown Quaiffe..
Using a TD transmission also gets you around the hydraulic clutch issue.. You can just use a normal Omni MTX pedal cluster/clutch cable setup..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool..i have the whole steering column with the chipped key, srt gauge cluster and hopefully everything else im gonna need.

The srt tranny like you said does have alot of problems, but i drove mine to 72k miles pushing 420hp and it ran a 11.7 on 23pounds of boost with out ever giving me a problem..maybe i just got lucky hah

Man i loved that car..but like i said it was getting up there in miles..72k and i still had 2 years left on my payments of $350 a month :(

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Yeah, I pay that much on my wife's minivan. Meh.. But then, the insurance is cheaper.. hehe.. Definitely get around the insurance problem when you have that drivetrain in the Omni. Good luck putting an SRT4 column into an Omni. It doesn't even fit into a 1st gen Neon properly, that's definitely not the route I'd go there. I'd find a way to use the Omni ignition switch with the SRT4 harness, then leave the SRT4 key in it's switch, somewhere inside the dash, so it's always there when the PCM checks for the transponder.. Meh.. All depends how much you want to modify that Omni's interior I guess..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup thats exactly what i was gonna do...im gonna try and keep the interior as stock as possible..maybe figure out a push button start...i heard people were wiring up ones using the s2000 push button

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
That's not exactly a stock interior feature.. You can make the Omni ignition switch work pretty easily. Even if the SRT4 uses multiplexed wires from the ignition switch like most other Chrysler's of that era, you can just use relays to do that. I don't think you'll get around having to use the SRT4 cluster though, it's just flat part of the system.

·
Registered
324 Posts
love the build go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

things to check..srt4 trans i wonder if the axles are the correct length because i am thinking the splines are different.

I would do the srt4 motor mated to the old school trans and megasquirt.
or some are going with the smec and the distributor adaptor (forget what they call it whats it called unaclocker?) the reason i would try smec is now alot of guys are putting flashable chips in them and the computer wil fire injectors individual not fire 2 at a time leaving a puddle of fuel setting on the valve.. the whole point of fuel injection is to atomize and not doing that very well if it is sprayed on an unopened valve? I still havent complete my project unaclocker has more experience..:thumb:

Cool..i have the whole steering column with the chipped key, srt gauge cluster and hopefully everything else im gonna need.

The srt tranny like you said does have alot of problems, but i drove mine to 72k miles pushing 420hp and it ran a 11.7 on 23pounds of boost with out ever giving me a problem..maybe i just got lucky hah
Man i loved that car..but like i said it was getting up there in miles..72k and i still had 2 years left on my payments of $350 a month :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i hear you guys..i have a srt tranny right now so if it fits ill prob just work with it..if not then ill def go with what you guys are telling me.

My thing is that i know the srt motor and tranny pretty well..and i have alot of people that do very good work on both hah so im very biased but you guys know what your talking about when it comes to swaps so im def keeping this stuff in mind

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well heres an update...finally got some time to work on the car..SRT Brakes..hub and struts pretty much bolted right up to this car...absolutely crazy how similar everything on both cars are

Stock:

Comparison:

SRT:

Here are the srt rims just for fun =)...the car will have 15's on it which should fit perfectly

Next is doing the same to the passenger side and then its time to pull the motor and tranny!

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
Looks like the strut/knucle combo is setting the tire farther back in the wheel well than stock. Interesting way of getting the tops of the struts to work in the strut tower, different route than I took.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea it might sit back alittle more..hard to tell with these huge rims though ha..i can turn fully in both directions without hitting anything though so this should work out pretty well....i hope

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea we are making some progress...this is a project for me and my dad so we do a couple of things when we both have time on the weekends

But yesterday we pulled the engine and tranny...and the interior is fully gutted..so we can get down to the fun stuff

Ordered some srt motor mounts and gonna try some different techniques..if they dont work well prob use some ideas ive seen on this site

And a pic of it with some pt cruiser steelies with 225 bfg's on it for the time being...looks tough as hell, so in the end its gonna have 15x7 black steelies all around

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Man this is killer. I cant wait for it to be done. Those steelies look so mean. Definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea my friend gave me the idea...place called diamond racing makes customs steelies any size bolt pattern and offset for like $85 a rim..some 15x7's should be perfect...the 225's are bulging alittle on the pt steelie..i think they are 6 or 6.5

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks ^ ..Degreased the engine bay and motor mounts came in today..so next day i have off im hopefully gonna be mocking the motor and trans up!

1 - 20 of 228 Posts