Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some Mopar Golden Lion Gold spray paint and attacked my turbo LeBaron convert's valve cover.....again.

What you're seeing is three coats of paint, then baked for 2 hours at 200F after the third coat. (Oh...the top pic is with flash, the bottom is sans flash, so that's why the color change. The top pic is the true color!)

I started buffing it on the right end, but quit after about a minute or two.....leaving the rest for this weekend.
Now to redo the airbox cover.......

·
Registered
386 Posts
You need to sand the valve cover down before you paint it.
Wow...picky picky. Whats yours look like?

This one looks really good, personally sanding it down would be a waste of time. Too much work w/ practically no reward. No one sees that unless you're only showing the car. If they do criticize...well.... ;) :D nvm

·
Registered
403 Posts
Depends on prep work... but generally without sanding it, the paint won't "bite" properly and will flake off soon. But if you cleaned it well enough, it will probably stick around for a while.

Regardless, it does look good! And besides, if you wanted to truly do it right, powder coat it ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's another couple of pics.........tried to show how a single pass with polishing compound is working......

Oh, and sanding would be a complete waste on these valve covers.....they're cast so poorly that once you begin sanding, you'd have to sand and sand and sand to get out all the imperfections. Besides, it's going under the hood of a 1985 LeBaron turbo convert...and not exactly a concours vehicle.

As for the paint not sticking without a lot of sanding, that's incorrect. Sanding, while giving some bite-ability to the metal, isn't the be-all and end-all of painting metal, aluminum included.

The real question should have been: "Did you use self-etching primer before you painted?" And naturally, the answer would have been, "Yes indeed I did. Not stupid you know."

Oh, and the cover was cleaned completely, first with degreaser x 2, then scrubbed with steel wool and grease removing detergent, then cleaned with 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol just prior to the primer being sprayed, then wet sanded between coats of primer, and between coats of paint.

And it still shows defects......but I never tried getting a glass-smooth surface in the aluminum....too much work for too little returns.

And it's true that powder coating is great, but have yet to find actual Mopar colors in powder, esp. Mopar Golden Lion Gold.......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. It's a theme......the car is an '85 in the creme/yellowish paint, buckskin top, buckskin leather interior (Mark Cross.) So I'm carrying the paint, sorta, onto the engine.

Valve cover gold.....and intend to paint the lettering black. The air box cover is reversed.....black with the lettering in gold.

Will carry out the theme a bit more with plug wires and vacuum hose.

Silly, I know, but it works for me. :)

·
Banned
3 Posts
how could a SS be a sleeper, lol? i was at the woodward cruise last year in my white spirit R/T and seen a red one followed by a black one, i heard the supercharger on the first one and then when the second one took off, i heard the supercharger whine and the turbo spool. i asked the guy if he had the bi charging system and he was shocked that i knew of it, he said the guy in front of him didnt even know and they were hanging together all day.

those engines sit pretty low, huh?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chevy really crammed the engine into the Cobalt... for sure... and the SS is pretty tame looking.

I'm running 16PSI on it right now... it'll go like mad if I can ever get traction... suprises a number of people who think they have a fast car. I'm just getting tired of the payments on it... hoping to sell it soon. I figure if I throw the same amount of money into the Daytona as I have the SS... I'll have a true sleeper and no car payment.

Plus I never have to wash the Daytona... water restrictions FTL.

·
Banned
3 Posts
i thought they all had the big wing on the back, thats an option? i have worked on 05 an 06 2.2 ecotecs, they are really simple and have plent of room behind the head for a turbo, i just didnt remember seeing them that low in the engine bay.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh they come with a wing on the back...

I got lucky and found a guy with a base model Cobalt... we swapped trunks.

That's the best part... 99% of people think "no wing = slow" and it works on the cops too.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Back on topic...

After polishing, OMG! That looks amazing, a mirror finish. Good luck on the color theme, you're trying to be a pimp? Lol, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Oh they come with a wing on the back...

I got lucky and found a guy with a base model Cobalt... we swapped trunks.

That's the best part... 99% of people think "no wing = slow" and it works on the cops too.
The low rise wing was an option in '07, but most have the high rise. Did you paint you headlights red? That's kinda different I guess. We painted my wife's blue to match hers:

(kinda hard to see, but this is the best pic I have on hand)

[/hijack]

Not a fan of the gold, but the quality looks nice :cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts