Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a cal made for my 2.5L minivan + G-head and S60. Have all the injectors, map, etc. and ran fine with that setup, but I blew it up :D I bought a 90 dodge spirit with the 2.5L turbo I and automatic and was hoping to swap that in for the time being. Only thing that worries me about this swap is that I found the stock computer doesn't have the extra ~14 pin (?) connector on it! So... is it possible to put the stock engine/turbo (but with the injectors, intercooled, 3-bar map, etc) on for low boost in the downtime of my regular engine (going forged pistons, etc)?

Thanx!

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Same motor just different computer control, 90 was the first year for the SBEC which replaced the SMEC computer(Single Board vs. Single Module). Swap in the motor and hook it up as it is now and try not to blow it up :) Some adjustments may need to be made to the cal with the difference between the G head and Swirl head. Or just keep the boost and timing in a sensible range.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
yes you can run the 2.5 from the spirit same engine as the mini daytona lebaron yada yada yada. put the turbo and all your mod from the mini on it and watch egt's and a/f.

Why did the motor pop in the first place ? that is the question that needs to be answered before you do it to another one or you will in search of again (hate doing that !!!!)

above 15 psi you will really be pushing the mitsu and most likely have boost control issues.

Norm

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As somebody pointed out, my spark plugs were white as ghosts! So I'm guessing I leaned out, detonated, then the piston decided to part ways with itself! What sucks is that the day before this happened, my wideband O2 sensor burned up (it had quite a few miles on it and a friend borrowed it who has a turbonaws SRT engine... so it was bound to fail... just bad timing).

I have a new fuel pump and will be ordering a new O2 sensor AND EGT gauge. I only plan to throw this "temp engine" in for the summer while I build the blown engine with higher end internals. Won't be doing any major horsepower with this temp engine as I just want to be able to use the van for towing tasks and camping :D

· Registered
3,846 Posts
I had a cal made for my 2.5L minivan + G-head and S60. Have all the injectors, map, etc. and ran fine with that setup, but I blew it up :D I bought a 90 dodge spirit with the 2.5L turbo I and automatic and was hoping to swap that in for the time being. Only thing that worries me about this swap is that I found the stock computer doesn't have the extra ~14 pin (?) connector on it! So... is it possible to put the stock engine/turbo (but with the injectors, intercooled, 3-bar map, etc) on for low boost in the downtime of my regular engine (going forged pistons, etc)?

Thanx!
I would not recommend using a stage 5 cal on a mitsu turbo'ed motor.
If you have a new sdet-up, you can send in your old cal for a free upgrade as long as you are the original owner.
later,
Cindy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.