Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have purchased a ECU 1990/1991 Stage 3 Calibration from fwdPerformance some time ago. The problem is that I don’t really get the 15pounds of boost.

I alredy contacted Cindy but somehow didnt get response yet.

When I first installed the new computer max output was still 7-9psi. The turbo and everything else is fine and not the problem. I then used a manual-boost valve to get the promised boost. That was working fine, boost reached approx. 1.1Bar (15psi) without problems and A/F-Gauge saying all ok, but torque and power was sometimes difficult (not to say frightening) to handle...

Now I dumped the boost-valve and wanted to use the car a bit more “unmodified” as a nearly new engine (48.000km) was installed. - The same as before (only about 8psi max).

During a long drive on the German Highway (no speed limit..:) suddenly the engine produced the 15psi without the boost-valve. It seemed to have been awakened by the high speed driving (160-200km/h) over a longer stretch. I was so happy! And driveability was excellent!

Boost continued to peak at 15psi with the computer until I had to disconnect the battery for some maintenance work, and since then I only get the 7psi output again!

Is there some “trick” to get the computer running with 15 pounds of boost? Or am I doing something wrong?

It seemed to me, that only when driving the car for a longer time at high speeds the computer is switching to high performance.. just to forget about it after the computer was disconnected from the battery!

My car is a 1991 Chrysler Daytona TI with the 2.5 l engine, modifications are:

Intercooler added out of my former TII
Stage 3 Calibration ECU
custom low-restriction exhaust
K&N Replacement Intake-Filter

Thanks for any advice or help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check that against a 90/91 diagram. I think in the real beginning it was connected like on Gus' Page: gusmahon.org/html/boostcontrol.htm the "late model T1 setup" with a tee or rather a tee that looks like that: >- in place. (only 1 line to and from the wastegate solenoid. Now its 2 lines, 1 line to the solenoid and 1 back from solenoid.

I think I've seen at least 3 different vac diagrams for the 90/91 or 93??.
I also hope its the right calibration anyway. The specs for the T1 91' 2.5l are 155hp with the high torque 290Nm engine.

Could you point me the correct diagram for that type and Ecu ?
I don't think it was boost creep, (as far as I understand ...) because it put out 15psi also when not driving at high speeds - during normal town driving speeds in 2nd ,3rd,4th gear.

hope that helps explaining the confusion ....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,

I alredy contacted Cindy but somehow didnt get response yet.
I suppose you tried to contact her by mail? If so, this is like writing to father christmas. You most likely won't get a reply.

From all I know (otherwise very happily dealing with her) the best way to contact is calling her on the phone. She is 7 hours behind our time.

Good luck!!! Where are you based? I frequently go to Stuttgart and Köln. I am preparing a Daytona myself in Barcelona....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,

I'm living in Bielefeld, thats quite a bit more to the north. What is K-town? Köln?

I've bought that other 48'000 km car in Stuttgart - a 6 hours or so trainride from Bielefeld and back home with the Daytona... That was quite an experience.

Yes I've tried to contact her by email :). I haven't been working on that wastegate-line yet. Got too much other things to do and I haven't got a garage where I can work on it yet. Its getting quite cold here at the moment and rainy...

So I've just put on the manual boost valve again. But that things needs very carefull driving if one doesn't want to draw too much attention... These cars are very rare here. I think I've seen only one other Daytona in 5 years living in Germany.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Sorry. K-town is slang for Kaiserslautern. I lived in Germany for 3.5 years from 1990-1994 in Frankfurt. Well, just outside in a town called Oberdorfeldon. My mom was stationed at the 97th General(turned 51st CSH) with 5th Corps before it all got disbanded and moved elsewhere. I was too young(10-14) unfortunatly to fully be able to enjoy my experience, but as I look back on it I did get to do a lot of things most people don't. Oh well. I'm hoping to be able to go back ind visit her while she's over there this time. Unfortunatly school is my first priority right now, and the way things are going I might be just finishing as she's getting ready to come back. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Raycast,

This seems to be normal for FWD's Stage 3 Cal, which I have in my `88 Lancer Shelby. It took over a tank of gas and a lot of encouragement from Cindy, but the "adaptives" eventually figured every thing out, and I finally got my 15psi of boost!

Only problem now is an oscillating boost problem (swings back and forth between 11 and 15psi under boost), which is likely just the weak spring in my stock wastegate can being overpowered and dumping boost.

That, and living in perpetual fear of disconnecting my battery. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi MDBecket,

Thanks for your reply! to be honest I thought I was the only one having this kind of problem... If I understand you correctly, your car suddenly also switched to "proper operation" after a while ? That is the same phenoma I expirienced!

What you call the "adaptives" is that the "learning process" of the ECU that eventually figures out it is save to run 15psi of boost? If so then I'll hook up the computer again (instead of the manual boost valve) and hope the computer eventually switches to 15psi...

Only problem now is an oscillating boost problem (swings back and forth between 11 and 15psi under boost), which is likely just the weak spring in my stock wastegate can being overpowered and dumping boost.
That was ALSO the same with my car (when 15psi was working). So I don't think its a weak spring. Because with the manual boost valve it holds the 15psi of boost with no problem. Maybe this is some sort of safety measure of the calibration in order not the fry the engine...

Did you have to disconnect the battery since? What did Cindy tell you about it? Is there some trick? Or does it just take some time (more than a tank of gas in your case)?

Thanks again for your reply!! Now I now I am not only one out there...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Raycast,

Sorry about the lag in my reply! I really should hang out here more. :)

That's discouraging to hear that you experienced the oscillation I described, too. I had happily convinced myself that I could fix the problem by buying a new turbo with a newer wastegate, which I was planning on doing soon.

I'm pretty sure my timing belt has slipped, with my recent decline in performance, so it's not a good time for me to be assessing things like ECU performance and so on. I'll check back when I've fixed that.

That said, maybe the ECU still has some more learning to do? I wonder what would happen if I put up with that oscillating for another tank of gas...

I haven't disconnected the battery since, and Cindy told me that it would again reset, and I'd have to go through the learning stage all over again. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts