Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Gas leak...I thought?

944 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GLHNSLHT2 
#1 ·
89 2.5 Turbo Auto

Need some advice. Pull her out yesterday and smelled gas. Shut her down, opened the hood and could see a puddle under the fuel regulator...leaking pretty good down the block onto the ground. Figured I would tackle it this morning.

Just started her up..no leak. 20 minutes running now...no leak. Went for a ride around the block..opended her up (fire extingusher in passenger seat) and still no leak. Not even a whiff.

So confused...anyone have something similar?

Thanks,
Bib

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
when I went to buy my charger one of the hoses had a leak that went away when I twisted it

I think all your rubber hose bits are probably done fer if you also just finished fixing the water line

fuel line hoses , heater , rad , BRAKE all of 'em are probably really old

but especially with the fuel lines & brake line .. I'd renew those for piece of mind personally

#4 ·
If there is no fuel in the FPR vacuum line then the FPR is fine, if you smell or see fuel replace the FPR.
Be sure the FPR to rail seal is not leaking, it uses the same size seal as the injectors.

Physically inspect each injector to be sure there are no leaks at the injector to rail seals or from the injectors themselves.

If no leaks are found replace All rubber fuel line underhood and at the fuel filter and tank.
I replace mine every few years or so, better to be safe than sorry.

Be sure to use the proper Fuel Injection Hose and Fuel Injection Hose Clamps.
The feed lines are 5/16" and the return lines are 1/4".

NOTE: Autozone does not sell the fuel injection hose clamps in 1/4", 5/16" only in 3/8". It was one of my biggest complaints when I was a Commercial Sales Manager.

I always keep fuel injection hose and fuel injection hose clamps stocked so I have them should I need them.

About...
https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-p...el-injection-hose-clamps/p/7400-000000-000000

DAYCO® Fuel Injection Hose

#7 ·
I will never trust FI hose and FI clamps again. I put brand new hoses on with all the correct clamps, 6 months down the road I'm driving in the middle of the california desert at 2am. I'm very tired and as the road is straight there forever I'm bored too. Up comes this nicely built Datsun 510. Pulls up beside me, drops 2 gears at 75mph and hammers it. Being a aerodynamic daytona with a 2.5 I roll on it in 5th and pull away from him. As I back out of the throttle I thought I saw my a/f gauge (way back still running a narrowband gauge) at stoich???? No way I think. Datsun wants to try again. So I roll on it in 5th again and as soon as I hit boost my a/f goes stoich! Whoa! ok keep out of boost, still pull away from 510 guy and get in and out of 2psi of boost a bit, sure enough, soon as boost comes on it goes stoich. Ok enough of that, 510 has given up, don't need to use boost the rest of the trip even up over the grapevine. Get to my dad's in O.C. and am showing him the car. He points down at the fuel line and says "Is that supposed to be leaking?" The line had shrunk and the clamp was loose. So I'm sure it was spraying fuel all over the hot exhaust manny playing with the 510. Thankfully it didn't catch fire and leave me stranded in the desert or worse. I cut the hose, and reclamped it. Then after I got back home I converted over to AN fittings and it'll never leak again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.