Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any consensus on what tire size offers the best fuel economy and performance? Does going up in diameter help any? I know on some cars it helps some cars it hurts it. Do you seem to sacrifice much handling with any diameter increases? Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
All else being equal and at highway speeds, wider tires will lead to a drop in fuel-economy over a narrower 'cousin' of the same diameter. The reason for this is a larger cross-section to be presented to the air-stream. Rolling resistance also increases with an increase in the cross-section.

I too would like to hear input from others on what diameters have given improved fuel economy (mostly for the sake of my TBI car which isn't going to have any grip problems). Final drive train ratio will also play a role.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I had assumed that increasing the diamater of tire on my Olds Bravada (S10 blazer thing) with a 4.3 v6 (fairly torquey) my mpg would improve it I stuck with the same width WRONG! Lost like 3mpg! doh!:bang head:bang head

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
You really have a trade off. First off can we get an example of what size wheels you have on the car now. Going with a narrower tire helps fuel economy yes, but also if you have hooking problems you have less footprint to the ground. I have ran 225-45-16's on a daytona with no noticable difference in fuel economy drop from the stock 205-55-16's. Tires do play a roll in fuel economy, but driving habits, car maintenance, and overall condition tend to play bigger factors IMO unless you go way off the spectrum with tire sizes.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
if the only change is an *increase* in tire diameter:
FE will go up, performance will go down.

changing tire diameter aka N/V (revs/mile) has the same effect as changing Final Drive Ratio FDR,
it's a straight-up performance vs economy trade-off

I'm running Goodyear Assurance Fuel-Max on my 03 Dakota..
supposed to be good for couple % FE .. I like 'em ..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+Fuel+Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts