Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all. Brand new to this forum, long time Shelby Dodge owner. I'm about to go look at an '87 GHLS Charger, VIN 1b3bz64e5hd578947, GHLS #754. I was hoping someone could verify that this is indeed a GLHS and is indeed #754.

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Can't help you with the VIN check. I only have the VIN's for the 86 GLHS's. Hopefully someone will chime in. Pretty easy to identify a GLHS from a SC. Paint scheme, graphics, unique Shelby Centurian II wheels, will have sunroof, must have AC. Must have 5 spd. manual tranny. No armrest for center console. TII top end of engine with 2 piece intake & slip on turbo inlet TII air filter box. Unique four digit dash plaque. Should have GLHS unique leather steering wheel, Shelby valve cover, may or may not still have Mobil 1 sticker on valve cover. Speedo dash overlay extending MPH 90-135. Shift pattern decal, shifter knob was unique Momo leather. Might have Koni's on car still (had them when new). CS labeled Logic Module, radiator/intercooler assembly, fan assembly is GLHS only too. Unique vent block off plate over hood vent. Emission and vacuum stickers (VECI) will have Shelby logos on them. Shelby silver sticker on drivers door. You get the idea. Pretty hard to fake one. Anyone that changes all that will be far upside down on the car.
Good luck with the viewing. Let us know if you seal the deal!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Welcome!!

Take pics if possible.

We like pics!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys, this car has all the stickers, etc and appears to be legitimate, I'm just wanting to make sure someone hadsn't cloned it before I jump on it. I currently own an 87 Shelby Charger, and my first car was an 85 Shelby Charger, both in black. I'm pretty familiar with them, but ya just never know, ya know?
Welcome!!

Take pics if possible.

We like pics!!

Thanks
Randy
I sure will. Should know something Wednesday when I go look at it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Both my 87 Charger GLHS cars had GLHS 01 stamped on the VIN tag located on the radiator support on the drivers side.
That should tell you.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Good afternoon all. Brand new to this forum, long time Shelby Dodge owner. I'm about to go look at an '87 GHLS Charger, VIN 1b3bz64e5hd578947, GHLS #754. I was hoping someone could verify that this is indeed a GLHS and is indeed #754.

Thanks so much in advance!
Another thing to look for is the CS1135 vacuum routing sticker on the Hood ( See Original Factory Sticker Below ):
If it's there, look to see if there is another vacuum routing sticker below it.
If you Do see one below the CS1135, then that's factory original to the car.
The CS1135 sticker was applied over the Chrysler sticker at the Shelby factory in Whittier CA.

Also look for the CS1023-3 VECI Label on the radiator support ( See Original Factory Sticker Below ):

These stickers could have been reproduced, but if it's on your car and it looks aged, it's probably original to the car.
This stick was applied after the original Chrysler sticker was removed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can't help you with the VIN check. I only have the VIN's for the 86 GLHS's. Hopefully someone will chime in. Pretty easy to identify a GLHS from a SC. Paint scheme, graphics, unique Shelby Centurian II wheels, will have sunroof, must have AC. Must have 5 spd. manual tranny. No armrest for center console. TII top end of engine with 2 piece intake & slip on turbo inlet TII air filter box. Unique four digit dash plaque. Should have GLHS unique leather steering wheel, Shelby valve cover, may or may not still have Mobil 1 sticker on valve cover. Speedo dash overlay extending MPH 90-135. Shift pattern decal, shifter knob was unique Momo leather. Might have Koni's on car still (had them when new). CS labeled Logic Module, radiator/intercooler assembly, fan assembly is GLHS only too. Unique vent block off plate over hood vent. Emission and vacuum stickers (VECI) will have Shelby logos on them. Shelby silver sticker on drivers door. You get the idea. Pretty hard to fake one. Anyone that changes all that will be far upside down on the car.
Good luck with the viewing. Let us know if you seal the deal!
Just aquired an 86glhs. The 6th digit is #1. You said you had a list of the vins for 86? Can i see the list i have 116.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Just aquired an 86glhs. The 6th digit is #1. You said you had a list of the vins for 86? Can i see the list i have 116.
The first 11 of the VIN should be:
1B3BZ18ExGD
The 9th position is a check digit and can be any number from 0-9 or x.
Positions 12 through 17 are the model year assembly sequence.

Check your VIN tag on the radiator support for a GLHS01 code stamped on it.
I'm not sure if the 86-1/2 GLHS has it, but the 87 GLHS cars have it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Thanks guys, this car has all the stickers, etc and appears to be legitimate, I'm just wanting to make sure someone hadsn't cloned it before I jump on it. I currently own an 87 Shelby Charger, and my first car was an 85 Shelby Charger, both in black. I'm pretty familiar with them, but ya just never know, ya know?

I sure will. Should know something Wednesday when I go look at it.
Look at the VIN tag on the radiator support.
There should be "GLHS01" stamped into it just before the Rt. side screw.
If the VIN on that tag matches the VIN on your dashboard, then it's a real GLHS.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Your car's VIN matches the car #. It is car # 116. That doesn't mean it was the 116th produced. Scheduled ship date was 6/26/86. Invoice # was 01-168. Sold to Tate Dodge in Annapolis MD. Car #'s 115, 116, 117, 118, & 119 were sold to Tate Dodge, so yours is one of 5) 86 GLHS's that Tate Dodge purchased.
Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Allegedly the plaques were in a safe in Shelby's office and randomly selected.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts