Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sorry to bother you but I'm curious, how did you manage to get all those Omnis since they are so rare and hard to find? The black one (the GLHS) is super rare and I was wondering where you got that one and all the others since I can hardly find any of them.
I believe there are more decent GLHS's out there than GLHT's at this point. At least some people squirreled the GLHS's away thinking that someday they might be a collector car. Virtually no one did that with the regular GLH's. There are GLHS's out there, but finding one in good shape and affordable is no small task. Some of the ones out there are so ridiculously over-priced, they will never sell. I guess their thought process is, they only need to find one lunatic that will pay stupid money for one. It isn't the Shelby Dodge enthusiasts that are buying them at 30K. It's really hard to find a GLHT that is rust free and one that hasn't been all butchered up. I had been looking for years to find a super clean GLHT that I could transplant a Masi 16V engine into. I came to the realization that I wasn't going to find one cleaner than the 88 Omni I already had. I had a 37K mile 88 Omni that bought out of Austin, TX close to 20 years ago. When I bought it it only had 21K miles on it. That car has never seen a snowflake. So THAT car is now getting a powertrain transplant.

The GLHS pictured I bought from the original owner back in 1993 or 1994. The red GLHT with the 15K miles on it I bought a long time ago too. I was the third owner of that. It had a VERY interesting story behind it. The one blue GLHT I've owned since it was a year old. The other blue one I owned from about 1998 and owned about 17 years before I sold it to a friend. That car came out of Long Beach, CA. The silver 50K one I've only owned since around late 2016. Found that one in Columbus, OH from a SD enthusiast.

If you find one for sale that is really super clean, you better act on it immediately, because you're hardly the only person looking for one. Don't limit yourself to cars just local to you, because you'll never find one that way. I get at least a dozen private emails or phone calls per year from people looking to buy a clean GLHT/GLHS. Either you will pay a premium for a super nice running example, or you may find one cheaper that doesn't run, doesn't stop, and has been sitting for 10-20 years. Those cars can me a nightmare getting back to running condition. Took me three months to get that silver GLHT in running condition after I bought it. There usually is a reason why those cars where parked in the first place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I believe there are more decent GLHS's out there than GLHT's at this point. At least some people squirreled the GLHS's away thinking that someday they might be a collector car. Virtually no one did that with the regular GLH's. There are GLHS's out there, but finding one in good shape and affordable is no small task. Some of the ones out there are so ridiculously over-priced, they will never sell. I guess their thought process is, they only need to find one lunatic that will pay stupid money for one. It isn't the Shelby Dodge enthusiasts that are buying them at 30K. It's really hard to find a GLHT that is rust free and one that hasn't been all butchered up. I had been looking for years to find a super clean GLHT that I could transplant a Masi 16V engine into. I came to the realization that I wasn't going to find one cleaner than the 88 Omni I already had. I had a 37K mile 88 Omni that bought out of Austin, TX close to 20 years ago. When I bought it it only had 21K miles on it. That car has never seen a snowflake. So THAT car is now getting a powertrain transplant.

The GLHS pictured I bought from the original owner back in 1993 or 1994. The red GLHT with the 15K miles on it I bought a long time ago too. I was the third owner of that. It had a VERY interesting story behind it. The one blue GLHT I've owned since it was a year old. The other blue one I owned from about 1998 and owned about 17 years before I sold it to a friend. That car came out of Long Beach, CA. The silver 50K one I've only owned since around late 2016. Found that one in Columbus, OH from a SD enthusiast.

If you find one for sale that is really super clean, you better act on it immediately, because you're hardly the only person looking for one. Don't limit yourself to cars just local to you, because you'll never find one that way. I get at least a dozen private emails or phone calls per year from people looking to buy a clean GLHT/GLHS. Either you will pay a premium for a super nice running example, or you may find one cheaper that doesn't run, doesn't stop, and has been sitting for 10-20 years. Those cars can me a nightmare getting back to running condition. Took me three months to get that silver GLHT in running condition after I bought it. There usually is a reason why those cars where parked in the first place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the advice bro. My dad said he'd buy one for me if the chance comes up.

My car only needs paint and a few other things but other than that it runs great!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The main thing is that you yourself like what you do!
For example, I’m modifying the rear bumper on my manin.
View attachment 269710
The main thing is that you yourself like what you do!
For example, I’m modifying the rear bumper on my manin.
View attachment 269710
I got a question for you, does the government in Ukraine impose tariffs on American cars or anything foreign for that matter? Are American cars there subject to an inspection before being allowed in kind of like we do here in USA?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got a question for you, does the government in Ukraine impose tariffs on American cars or anything foreign for that matter? Are American cars there subject to an inspection before being allowed in kind of like we do here in USA?
I don’t know how to tell you correctly, but I’ll try.
If a car is imported from America to Ukraine, you need to pay a one-time tax for it, then you need to register
Take for example a car up to five years old with an engine displacement that does not exceed three thousand cubic centimeters, the tax price is up to 4000 $

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don’t know how to tell you correctly, but I’ll try.
If a car is imported from America to Ukraine, you need to pay a one-time tax for it, then you need to register
Take for example a car up to five years old with an engine displacement that does not exceed three thousand cubic centimeters, the tax price is up to 4000 $
Gotcha. How many people have complimented you for owning an American car in Ukraine? I bet that draws a lot of attention.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gotcha. How many people have complimented you for owning an American car in Ukraine? I bet that draws a lot of attention.
I don't know about you, we look more at old exclusive, European and American cars :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don't know about you, we look more at old exclusive, European and American cars :)
I see, well everybody has their own tastes. Here in America we see just about every kind of old car including from before WW2.

The oldest car that my dad has is a 64 Plymouth Valiant station wagon, don't know if this car sounds familiar to you or not but it's the early form a minivan. His is an absolute rustbucket and is one of the projects I'm gonna help him with later on.

This is what his station wagon will look like after restoration: What do you think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I see, well everybody has their own tastes. Here in America we see just about every kind of old car including from before WW2.

The oldest car that my dad has is a 64 Plymouth Valiant station wagon, don't know if this car sounds familiar to you or not but it's the early form a minivan. His is an absolute rustbucket and is one of the projects I'm gonna help him with later on.

This is what his station wagon will look like after restoration: What do you think?

View attachment 269803
An interesting car, in Russia there are such, but few.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
An interesting car, in Russia there are such, but few.
Thanks bro! My dad would be happy to hear you say that. Unfortunately, his is sitting in the garage covered in rust and messed up paint, we are gonna finish my Omni first then we will do his station wagon. It needs a ton of other stuff that I won't get into.

He and I have so many toys we could start our own Mopar collection to be honest hahahahaha. I got a hot rod and do does he. Wait until you see my car completely redone, it'll be way better than the photo you saw earlier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
We have such cars.
In my city there is a Jeep SRT8
Awesome dude.

Do you guys get the original versions of our stuff or do you guys get the redesigned version for the European market since the standards are completely different? Here in America, foreign imports have to comply with USDOT (United States department of transportation) safety standards and USEPA (United States environmental protection agency) requirements so that it doesn't kill the environment and protect al the trees.

What I mean is that when USA gets foreign imported cars they are usually not the original designs but rather the less powerful and more environmentally friendly versions. Does the same apply over there? Sorry about all the questions but I really don't much about how other countries handle American products.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Heads up, there is an update on my car.

The L-body steering knuckles on my car that me and my dad got in from the junkyard in Iowa are not right for making a GLH because they are too thin. The K-car bearings that my dad slapped on are right but too wide, it goes in OK but sticks out too far. My dad is looking for K-car bearings from 1985 or older, for now what we have will work until he can find 85 or older K-car bearings.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts