Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized whatever smart guy had the car before me replaced the accelerator cable with some super long and odd cable. It was working but is deinfitely the wrong part. The cable is almost two feet longer than a stock cable and the bracket had holes drilled to adapt it to the 52mm TII throttle body. I purchased a new one that was listed as fitting the 1986 GLHS and the lengths and type seem completely different. I'd like to return the car to the stock setup. Attached are photos of the cable I purchased (the box) and two pictures of the ends of the cable to compare. It seems like the new cable has the right firewall pass through type so that is promising. The length of exposed cable is different between the two cables. I haven't attempted to install the new one just yet. I'd like to have everything lined up before doing the install. Anyone familiar and know how the cable and bracket are supposed to look?

Box for new cable

Pedal end: old on top with all hardware. Notice I lined up the firewall stop and the cable sticks out more on the old unit.

Throttle Body End: Completely different besides the shape that fits into the bracket which appears to be a square shape for both.

Im at a loss before I didn't take it apart and can't find any clear image or explanation.

·
Administrator
25,368 Posts
I do not own one so I cannot get you actual pics, however, take a look in the Chrysler Parts catalog to get an idea.

1986 Catalog, Group 14 Fuel Systems, Page 488, Figure 14-3900
(Throttle Control L-Body - Turbo Charger)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Closest image to the cable and bracket I have is in a pic from this 1990 Consulier GTP.. 🤔 Looks like the bracket I have but the cable I have has a smaller end stop . gdamn I didn't think this would be such a frustrating part of the restoration. I guess I just need a T2 cable bracket and cable and I'll be all set. Preferably from an 86 GLHS T2 setup

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If the CA8309 doesn't fit your cable bracket, and looks like the one on the Consulier, you have the wrong bracket on your 86 GLHS. The bracket should not look like the Consulier bracket. Here is a bone stock 6K mile GLHS. I've put that CA-8309 on my TII transplants and it works fine.
Gesswein GLHS 2 6.4K miles.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This sucks but is sort of fun to figure out.
Check this out: old pic of the setup i'm dealing with. seems funky

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
That picture sort speaks volumes about our TD's. Lot of things happen to our car's over the years. If only they could talk! Cover over drivers end of cam that's a 84-85 Turbo only thing. The black valve cover suggests 87+. 1 piece intake is suggests 88+ TII (if it has drilled charge temp sensor). TB bracket is newer yet. Then all the aftermarket stuff.
It looks like you either need to replace your throttle cable or your bracket to have a matched pair.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That picture sort speaks volumes about our TD's. Lot of things happen to our car's over the years. If only they could talk! Cover over drivers end of cam that's a 84-85 Turbo only thing. The black valve cover suggests 87+. 1 piece intake is suggests 88+ TII (if it has drilled charge temp sensor). TB bracket is newer yet. Then all the aftermarket stuff.
It looks like you either need to replace your throttle cable or your bracket to have a matched pair.
Oh the Tales they would tell!
My guess is this motor and turbo setup came out of an 88+ car and they did not have the right throttle cable and bracket.. I know the motor was built and refurbished when the TII setup went in. I have the one piece intake and it is drilled along the front for a sensor and a vacuum port and the sensor is plugged in so it must be functional. It is running an 86-87 stage 3 front wheel drive performance tune with 15 psi boost. The entire computer was replaced including that module that has the open 3 inch hole that looks like air passes through it. They missed a few things and I'm finding all of the sketchy areas of the wire harness as I restore the car. .

When this thing is done it is going to basically be #456 GLHS in an 85 GLH-T body and running an 87 T2 motor with an 88 1 piece intake and 525 transmission unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
At the moment, I can tell you that the throttle cable on the 1986 & 1987 GLHS is different than a 1986-7 Shelby Charger.
Throttle cable assy. for the GLHS cars is 4288197
Throttle cable assy. for the standard Turbo I Shelby Charger is 4306190
How they are different, I don't know, but I'll guess it's the length.

NOTE: The 1986 GLHS, 1987 GLHS, 1987 CSX and Lancer, all use the same throttle control cable #4288197

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
At the moment, I can tell you that the throttle cable on the 1986 & 1987 GLHS is different than a 1986-7 Shelby Charger.
Throttle cable assy. for the GLHS cars is 4288197
Throttle cable assy. for the standard Turbo I Shelby Charger is 4306190
How they are different, I don't know, but I'll guess it's the length.

NOTE: The 1986 GLHS, 1987 GLHS, 1987 CSX and Lancer, all use the same throttle control cable #4288197
That's good to know and I checked out the part number you mentioned. It is the same cable as what I posted up here "CA-8309" and comes up as an alternate part number PIONEER CA8309 Accelerator Cable | RockAuto
So I have the right cable. . Now I need the right bracket. .

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The throttle cable mounting bracket is 4288199
Thanks for giving that bracket number. I'll keep it for reference if I stumble across the right bracket. I searched every variation and term I could and looks like thats a discontinued mopar part number.
Is that the number stamped in the side?

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Thanks for giving that bracket number. I'll keep it for reference if I stumble across the right bracket. I searched every variation and term I could and looks like thats a discontinued mopar part number.
Is that the number stamped in the side?
That's the p/n in the book.
I'll be back at the car on Monday to take close-up pics of the throttle linkage and the bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Here's a long view of the bracket:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts