Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is probably considered a stupid question but, did the 87 GLHS have a bov of any type from the factory? I bought what I was assured to be as a factory air box but I don't see a bov inside. Is this right?:confused:

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS; 1989 Shelby CSX
204 Posts
Only the 88+TI's had a stock BOV IIRC.
Can a BOV be installed while still using the stock airbox? I had to reinstall the stock airbox to pass smog after I bought my car. I'm new to turbo engines, so I'd like to figure out if I can the Talon BOV between the intercooler and the airbox.

·
Registered
204 Posts
lol yea but you have to make a pipe with the mounting for a BOV
Thanks. I'm not very educated about these turbos yet since I've owned my car for just over a month now. It's not a big old V-8, so there's a lot for me to learn.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
Thanks. I'm not very educated about these turbos yet since I've owned my car for just over a month now. It's not a big old V-8, so there's a lot for me to learn.
wel look at it like this if you need any info feel free to ask me moparfwdsleeper, or any other people on this forum.. were here to help! lol :thumb:

·
Registered
204 Posts
wel look at it like this if you need any info feel free to ask me moparfwdsleeper, or any other people on this forum.. were here to help! lol :thumb:
Appreciate your offer for help and that from everybody else. I've wanted a GLHS for 20 years, but never really thought that I would actually own one. So I never really learned about turbos and how things work. But I've been reading up, thanks to some great stuff written by the turbo guys out there. I learned a lot just reading what is here and on the DempseyBowling.com website. I'll write some about my GLHS later.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
It's not a big old V-8, so there's a lot for me to learn.

Actually these are only a 4, so half the things to learn. :p

the factory figured at stock boost and due to the garretts large enough shaft, the blow off valve was not deemed necessary. It is a good idea to help with bearing life, especially if you are raising the boost.

Welcome to the board, now where are the pics?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Actually these are only a 4, so half the things to learn. :p

the factory figured at stock boost and due to the garretts large enough shaft, the blow off valve was not deemed necessary. It is a good idea to help with bearing life, especially if you are raising the boost.

Welcome to the board, now where are the pics?
I'll figure out how to add the Talon BOV. And I'll get some pictures posted up somewhere. I can't drive my car until Grundy Worldwide Classic Car Insurance sends me my paperwork.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Appreciate your offer for help and that from everybody else. I've wanted a GLHS for 20 years, but never really thought that I would actually own one. So I never really learned about turbos and how things work. But I've been reading up, thanks to some great stuff written by the turbo guys out there. I learned a lot just reading what is here and on the DempseyBowling.com website. I'll write some about my GLHS later.
I found out today that Centralia, Washington has some serious flooding. That is where I bought my GLHS two short months ago. Judging from the terrain of where the seller lived, my GLHS could have been underwater right now. I'm hoping the guy (and his family) I bought my car from is okay. And I'm now feeling like I rescued a Shelby from a possible bad ending.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
you can put the BOV between the turbo and IC, where you can hide it better if you are going for a stock look

you could prolly hide a DSM BOV inside the stock airbox too if you were so inclined

1 - 12 of 12 Posts