Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has been sitting for 4 years and would not start so I decided to up grade the fuel pump with a walbro 190 in tank pump so I could do away with the 2 pump set up. Now where the problem comes in the car will run and has good fuel pressure when it is running but when you turn the car off and let it set for a few minutes and try to restart it the fuel pressure is down to 0psi until you turn the engine over a few time and it will build up fuel pressure and start. I am guessing the FPR might be messed up from sitting so long?
But the fuel pressure is 42psi at idle and 58 to 60psi under boost. Anyone encountered this problem?

·
Registered
898 Posts
damn, im kinda stumped. the fuel pressure regulator wont just work good then not at all, i dont think, but then again, you said its been sitting for 4 years, so your fuel system could have some rust in it, or some rust may have gotten into the fpr, for shits and giggles i would pull the fuel rail and injectors and check them out. i had the same problem with my car, it had sat with a while, but the fuel tank was clean, i dropped in a 255 walbro, then i ran a fuel filter (i dont know what its from) inline by my passenger rear tire, then i bent new fuel lines out of brake lines, i think i went 3/8 feed and 5/16 return, cant remember, then i cleand the rail and injectors just for safety.

idk though, sounds like an electrical problem to me, someone will chime in thats good with the wires, or maybe a relay?

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
If you have good pressure while running and you're at 0 pressure after it sits a few minutes with engine off, you're leaking fuel somewhere. Possibly the injectors?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Pull the rail set it in a clear fuel safe container (GLAD works heh) and prime the system. Turn the key off and look for the leaker. If that doesn't work then skim over the whole fuel line system and look for wet spots. Otherwise it could be the check ball in the pump itself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same problem on my '85 GLH Turbo quite a few years ago. The problem turned out to be a small crack at the base of fitting on the fuel rail where I connected the fuel pressure gauge. I think that the rocking of the motor along with the weight of the fuel pressure gauge on the rail caused it to crack. Replaced the fuel rail and removed the pressure gauge and I was good to go.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
is it an external inline pump? Mine slowly drops to 0, so i always key it on then off then on and start to make sure the pressure is there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts