Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just stored my 86 Omni for the winter but will need to get the turbo rebuilt over the winter and sort out the low idle issue. Any suggestions on who rebuilds turbos in Canada and are there any suggestions on why the idle drops off?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Great car my son!!!

I always adjust the screw your'e not supposed to turn to establish minimum idle speed.

Then Engine idle speed will never drop below your desired RPM.

Others will disagree !!

Is the turbo actually bad or what are the symptoms?

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car idles fine on start up but after running a few minutes with drop down and sometimes stall. I'm thinking idle air circuit... also the turbo will only produce about 6 to 7 pounds of boost. All lines were checked for leaks

·
Administrator
25,639 Posts
Your idle issue is probably related to a carboned throttle plate and AIS bore.
You can just increase the idle RPM by turning the base idle screw or you can check/verify if the above is causing the issue.

This thread is generally for vehicles 87 (except L-Body) - 92 Turbo cars but the procedure is basically the same.

·
Administrator
25,639 Posts
On the 2.2L T-1 boost is only 7-9 PSI and the higher boost level is only a short duration, this is controlled by the engine controller through the Wastegate Solenoid.
To verify if the problem is with the turbo or a charge pipe leak or faulty wastegate...
Disconnect and plug the vacuum/pressure line from the wastegate, go for a ride and see if boost will go over 7 PSI.
(Be Careful Not To Overboost).
If boost levels now go over 7 PSI the turbo is fine and the boost control system is fine.
If boost levels will not go over 7 PSI then you have a leak in the charge piping.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I agree with Jan, first diagnose boost issue before rebuilding turbo. Even cam timing being retarded will cause your low, delayed boost issue.
Another possible cause for low boost is a pressure leak. I know you said you checked for leaks, but double check the lower intercooler hose carefully for a tear as it passes near the clutch cable area on the tranny case. They rubbed in this area from the factory. You can trim the case of the tranny some to eliminate the problem. See red circle in attachment. It won't effect the strength of the case one bit.
Boost on a 86 GLHS is sloped, but does increase to 12 PSI after around 4000-4500 RPM. Do yourself a favor and replace that terrible LM with a stage II MP, or do some some mods and install a 87 MP stage II LM for Shelby Z. The 87 LM requires an external MAP and two wires switched in red and blue LM connectors. EZ to do. The Whittier plant did the crazy lazy sloped boost curve to try to save the a525 for warranty purposes. Then bragged about it on the window sticker like it was a good thing, and that you should pay extra for it! Performance, economy, and driveability is all enhanced with replacing the neutered LM. The 87 Shelby Z came with the Getrag a555 tranny, so even the stock LM offered a much more aggressive spark and boost curve. The MP stage II offered even better performance.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts