Turbo Dodge Forums banner

181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Alrighty. New tools have arrived.

This is the Dura-Bond stuff for reaming and installing cam bearing shells. Somehow i only ordered one set of bearings when i was sure i ordered two...

So ill learn how this works on a scrap head, then attempt to repair the head for my build.

~Mark

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Gonna give it a test run and see what there is to learn. Dont sweat, this is a scrap swirl head that has a crack across the lash adjuster bore. No reasonable repair.

Made a fixture to bolt the head down to the table. I just cut some old head bolts down to do the clamping.

Bolted down, this shows the ugly of the before state of this head.

I dressed the caps and head with some 400 grit sandpaper on a flat surface to make sure there arent any high spots.

Bar bushings in.

Bar and cutter in. The cutter actually took some massaging with sand paper because a burr from the set screws made it hang up on the bar.

This is after two successful cuts. There was a learning lesson. The cutter had a "F" on it that i assumed meant "Forward" or "Front" but it was chattering so desperately when attempting to cut. Eyeballing the tool, it appeared that the other end had a better taper to is and would cut better. After flipping it around, it cut much better, enabling the first successful pass.

The "F" must mean "F*ckin Back".

Showing the quality of the finish. Im pretty impressed!

In order to cut the last two caps, i would need to install the bearings to hold the bar bushing, but id rather not damage the shells. Ive got enough hands on at this point that ill just cut my head next and do a full install. Exciting.

I am probably going to tape off the next head simply to save on the clean up. The chips gets EVERYWHERE. No doubt that a full strip and clean is necessary.

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I love watching this build.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts