Turbo Dodge Forums banner
41 - 60 of 258 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Also! I almost forgot! I ordered the monster trans from Ed Papp this morning. Settled on a large spline 568 with a 3.50 final drive swap and an OBX. I cant say that i entered the week with plans of dropping $$ like that... but screw it, ima need a proper trans if this is going to be the fastest factory configuration omni in the world...

Discussion starter · #42 ·
So im slipping on my schedule. Im supposed to get the head finished so i could drop it off at the machine shop... Hopefully i get it done today/tomorrow.

But i have made other progress.

I got MS3 talking over the serial port, so i can finally continue assembly. This step has stopped me in my tracks for 6 months because i never ordered the usb>serial dongle.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
It has been a really cool experience building and tuning. Its incredible how MS is intended to by applicable to all scenarios so you need to know what you want and build towards that specifically.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I also decided to hit the rear door with the polisher juuuuust to see how it responded

Im surprised by the outcome! This motivated me to wet sand some of the black overspray, and start planning to polish all of the intact paint.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Lastly, i pulled to sound system and buggered carpet out of the spare tire well.
I cant spare the pounds for a subwoofer!

Im thrilled with the lack of rust.
I sold the sound stuff on offer up for $60. Took less than 2 hours!

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Hey, thank you for the support guys, its nice to know that there are a few folks that are tuning in!

So i have finished the head work.
I just dropped it off at the machine shop for a comp valve job, back cut valves, and skim it. I dropped off a flywheel as well to get surfaced. I was surprised to see that the shop was super busy so itll take a couple of weeks before they get to my stuff. This means that i will strongly consider drilling for 11mm headstuds on my own, and definitely home honing the cylinders.

I am planning to pull the motor tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Oh ya man! The struggle is real! Constant jigsaw puzzle to get anything done!

The time has come to pull the motor to refresh the short block in prep for getting the head back from the machine shop. Its a mild 122* with 173% humidity Florida day. So i should be 10 pounds lighter by the end of the day.

Stay tuned!
~Mark

PS - ive been habing conversations with Todd about picking up a head for the next motor, a monster 8v. Exciting!

Discussion starter · #54 ·
What a day.

The whole process went really well until i got to the motor mounts. The only parts that didnt easily come apart were the downpipe bolts. The side grinder made fast work of them. Also, i now see why many people choose to leave the P/S pump in the engine bay... That bastard just leaks and leaks and leaks until its finally out of the car. I should have left the line on it til after it was unbolted...

As for actually dropping the motor... This was the first time i dropped it out the bottom. Why does anyone do it like this?? What a nightmare! I think it would only make sense to drop it out if u have a lift to lift the car up and off of it. Unfortunately to powder coated valve cover that came with the car took some damage. Sad face.

What's up Fellas!

So ive decided to jump back into TDs. I want to make some quality youtube content and really show the world what we are all about.

Now introducing... My new 1985 Omni GLHT! Gold dust with a red interior swap. Mostly stock. 109k miles. Little rust. Shitty paint. And a lot of charm. Hasnt run in 4+ years, but thatll be solved soon.

View attachment 269833

View attachment 269832

View attachment 269831

View attachment 269830
I always liked that gold color

Here is the data sheet back from the fuel injector clinic. They really do amazing work. I dont know what they had to do to get the baseline numbers because i got zero flow from two of them on the test bench. View attachment 270007
Thank you for this info.
I'd like to keep the original injectors on my GLHS and this would be the way to go.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
So i received some goodies from Summit and Amazon in prep for engine overhaul.

The valvetrain bits are of my own selection based on valve specs and such, so we will see if i made errors that will cost me more $$... Otherwise the Chem Dip is for soaking and cleaning my used T2 pistons that will be going into the block and then i chose an assortment of assembly lubes. Im excited for the 105 the most.

Also, today i purchased some precision tools for the garage to get the rotating assembly properly reassembled. Or at least i will know precisely how much i halfassed some element of the rebuild....

This weekend i will tear down the long block and start cleaning her up... I need to order engine enamel (ill try KBS Motor Coater) as well as a ball hone.

Stay tuned!
~Mark

Discussion starter · #60 ·
I got on to disassembly of the short block today. I actually pulled the head as soon as i got it on the stand because i wanted to verify if i got the 10mm head bolts of lucky with the 11mm ones.

So boo. I have 10mm headstuds. Add that to the list of things that gotta change.

Also, i was surprised to find a slider cam. I was under the impression that the car had a 782 head, that was one of the first things i looked at when i picked the car up, so ive been under the impression that the head had been off at some point. Turns out its actually a 287 head. Gee i wonder how i ever could have made that error...

Anyhow, the motor seems to be mostly unmolested.

41 - 60 of 258 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.