Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Gold Dust GLHT Build

19K views 257 replies 16 participants last post by  GLHS0815 
#1 ·
What's up Fellas!

So ive decided to jump back into TDs. I want to make some quality youtube content and really show the world what we are all about.

Now introducing... My new 1985 Omni GLHT! Gold dust with a red interior swap. Mostly stock. 109k miles. Little rust. Shitty paint. And a lot of charm. Hasnt run in 4+ years, but thatll be solved soon.

See less See more
#209 ·
I cleaned up and pump pulley and primed it up for paint, but the weather isn't playing along. Otherwise, I pulled out the rest of the brackets and hardware to be reinstalled soon hopefully.

The original engine tote is all but empty. At least all of the parts that remain are easy to ID as not going to be reused.

Progress!

Thanks for tuning in,
Mark

#210 ·
Mark,

I cannot believe I have missed this thread. Man I love all the details and photos you are providing to this community! Sadly the only engine I ever built was a Ford DOHC 4.6 so this thread is full of great information and tips!

Great job on the build, and I can't wait to hear Gold Dust rocking its new heartbeat!

#211 ·
Hell ya. Thank you for the appreciation. It definitely helps to know that there are people out there digging it.

I can't wait to take my first lap around the neighborhood, but wow is there still so much to do. The rebuild is one thing, but biting off the megasquirt conversion at the same time is daunting.

I'll be happy with an actual start and preliminary tuning. Worst cast scenario, the pistons are rattling in the bores so badly that I need to pull it out again to put some slugs in it... Even still, there would be so many wins by that point.

Soon hopefully!

Thank you,
Mark

#212 ·
Hey Mark,
Little FYI in case you didn't notice this bolt hole (circled) penetrates the waterjacket. Needs some thread sealant on it. Many people miss it. On the CB's this hole is blind, not so on the early blocks. Pulling this bolt out of the chassis on L-bodies is sometimes difficult, as it wants to run into the framerail before backing all the way out. I usually modify the
alternator bracket a bit so it cannot hang me up. Also careful not to overtorque this bolt too, I've seen a few people have to heli-coil this bolt hole. A beatch when in the car! :eek:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

#213 ·
Oh nice! Thank you for the heads up. Ya I was diddling that lil hile after I had installed the water pump. There are quite a few holes that I need to plug yet, including the water stuff for the turbo.

I'll dry fit my motor mounts and alt bracket next just to prove where they are supposed to go at this point...

More to come!
~Mark

#215 ·
Hey hey! I believe I got my exhaust studs from TU when I got some of the other fasteners. I'll back track through the thread and see if I documented when I got them. I'm pretty sure that I got them from him since he was the only one that offered the square tooth cam sprocket at the time.

Thank you!
Mark

#216 · (Edited)
Right on Mark.

Searching for some alum cleaner I came across this and thought of you.

We discussed cleaners a while back and my difficultly in sourcing some.

I thought the answer to What is citristrip made of? was funny.

Can't imagine how it got in the product description!

Thanks
Randy

How do you clean after using CitriStrip?

What is citristrip made of?

Use CITRISTRIP®'s all-purpose stripping gel to remove multiple layers of latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics and epoxy from wood, metal and masonry surfaces. Your satisfaction is guaranteed! OK, so it's made from Crystal Meth, Cocaine, and Oranges.

#217 ·
Fellas! Time for some updates! I have been working way too many hours since August, and have finally been able to scratch my itch to get back on the Omni!

Randy, that Citristrip gel description is hilarious. The stuff did reasonably well for me.

Here goes...

#226 ·
It's nice to see you back to work on your Engine Mark!!

I can't believe Citristrip allows such a funny comment!!

Do your Turbo exhaust studs have Copper Coat or something on them??

Or they some special exhaust stud?? I couldn't find them listed anywhere.

Thanks
Randy

#258 ·
#223 ·
On to the Intake manifold. Time for a mockup.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior

I rapidly realized that the exhaust manifold will be coming back off to finish mount the intake, once it is ready...

I prepped the intake for paint with a proper pressure washing

Wood Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

Getting the intake on will open the door to fibbing the fuel rail, which is about the last major project before the engine is ready to drop back in.

I don't recall if I mentioned these before...
Wood Gadget Finger Material property Audio equipment

AlrightFellas. I have two more days off. Time to get back into the garage.

Thanks for tuning back in!
~Mark

#224 ·
Alright. Paint that manifold!

Grass Cooking Gas Rectangle Font

Slap it on!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

This is after I sanded the ribs 2 hours after painting because I am thrashing irresponsibly. Fortunately I did not run the fresh paint job with my carelessness.

Thar be some contact between the wastegate bracket and the intake.

Carbon Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Gapped! Nothing a grinder couldn't handle.

Leg Sleeve Gesture Grey Finger

And she is back together, proper torqued et al.

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

#225 ·
So I came about a spot of a problem. I tested the Holset wastegate and it is either a 2.5 bar or 3 bar can. Obviously that's not going to cut it. So I will be grafting a large can from one of our garrets on.

Hurdle #1: create a mounting solution.

Hurdle #2: build new linkage that fits the tight confines between the turbo and intake manifold.

Wood Tool Gas Outdoor shoe Auto part

I like the adjustable actuator on the Holset unit, but it is too darn chunky. I made a new actuator rod from a .25" stainless rod and piece of 1/8" stainless sheet that I had In the garage.

Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Motor vehicle Engineering

Auto part Automotive exterior Wood Metal Art

This setup Fits pretty well without touching or catching anything.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

Tomorrow I'll attack the mount as well as Frankensteining onto the Garrett can.

So, what are yalls thoughts. The actuator "flag" has changed the geometry of the actuator linkage, which reduces the total needed stroke of the actuator. This reduces leverage of the actuator can, thus reduces the amount of force the exhaust gasses will need to exert to push the flapper open themselves...

My thoughts:
1) extend the actuator a good 1/2 through its stroke when I weld it all up to maximize the effect of its internal spring.
2) weld a seat to the actuator rod that will let me put springs in between the can and the rod so I can increase spring pressure if required.

Thanks all!
~Mark

#228 ·
So I had the night to think about how to make a mount for the Garrett wastegate can. I decided that I wanted a solution that would allow me to swap/replace the Garrett can with another like unit with the least amount of effort as possible.

Automotive tire Gas Glove Machine Motor vehicle

I have settled on and fabricated bracket bolted to the Holset mount, and also bolts up to the Garrett can.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Sleeve

Motor vehicle Blue Automotive tire Engineering Automotive design

There are a lot of funny angles at play with the way that the mounts built, so getting the right angle with the adapter was a chore. I mocked up the multiple piece with vice grips to dial in the angle.

Once the adapter bracket was welded and bolted up, I cut the new linkage to length and marked an index line on both rods to be able to reorient them for welding. I did shorten the length of the assembly by 1/4" to preload the wastegate spring.
Calipers Wood Tool Metal Latch

Burned together and test fit.
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Tread Bumper

Rattle can rebuild.

Window Wood Wall Human leg Aircraft

Finish install. Actuator cracks at 5psi and full open at 11psi.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

#229 ·
Fueling!

I was surprised that I still had my old 2piece rail from TurbosUnleashed. 2004ish maybe? 2003? I thought I had sold it in the last 5 years. It still has the "gussets" that I burned to the flimsy mounts that came with it. The original mounts allowed the rail to push away from the injectors and cover the engine in fuel when I had it in my 89 Shelby Daytona. I thought the car was going to burn down that day...
Calipers Wood Hardwood Table Rectangle

Test fit (after cleaning of course).

Shoe Wood Luggage and bags Bag Revolver

When I bought the injectors, I only sized the manifold side. I didn't care about the rail side because I had accepted that I would be making a rail. But here we are! It is a nice surprise.

Light Grille Black Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

And they slide into the manifold just fine. Even though my janky stainless rail mounts bolt up... I will be making new mounts. I have some 3/16" 6061 begging to be put to use.

That's a project for next weekend.

#230 ·
And my last project for the day was to get the TB cleaned and ready.

Wood Gas Auto part Machine Hardwood

Automotive tire Wood Watch Automotive exterior Bumper

I definitely did sell my old 52mm TB a few years back. And since the 2 piece intake was wollered out for a 52mm, I picked up another. It was and eBay junkyard pull off.

Broke it down. And gave it a proper kerosene bath.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

Huge difference. The staining and nasties came right out.

Wood Safety glove Automotive tire Gas Engineering

Saw Wood Tool Bicycle part Gas

Clean the guts.

Wood Automotive tire Auto part Gas Hardwood

Wood Gas Machine Auto part Saw

I was only slightly motivated to do the screw trim and bore/plate smoothing... but then that motivation left as the sun went down. I'll just turn the boost up a little more in compensation. This engine will not surpass 325hp, if it lives to make it there. That'll be my cut off to get into the next engine.

Coming together.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Shelf

Thank you for the read.
~Mark

#231 ·
Looks nice Mark, Well done! Way back in the day there was a guy that still used a stock 46mm throttle body on his race only GLHT. Almost dipped into the 10's using that puny little thing. Not saying that is the way to go, but bigger fish to fry. It's like if you need to go faster, you just change the set of car keys right (lol)?
I also made all my own fuel rail mounts. When it comes to fuel systems, I don't mess around cutting corners or using questionable parts.
Light Automotive air manifold Gas Machine Motor vehicle
Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior
Bicycle part Gas Auto part Metal Nickel

#232 ·
Thank you! Ya I'm deep in it again. Eating and sleeping TD again lol.

I agree, when I was fussing about the "mods" to the 52, I just reminded myself that G.Donovan felt that the differences were negligible between the 46 and 52.

I actually bought my 2 piece from Gary in 02 or 03 and it didn't come with the rail...

Good times.

#233 ·
Russ Jerome used an old log style fuel rail with a 2 piece.

He said he only had to modify the mount brackets to fit.

Benefits were better flow and a remote FPR.

Inexpensive and tough!

Thanks
Randy

Reactions: arieskcar
#234 ·
Fascinating that the log rail would work.

Funny story, I called Chris at TU for a clutch and we went down memory lane a lil. He asked if I had purchased from him before, and I told him about a few parts including my fuel rail...

Me: " I bought one of the first 2 piece rails that you sold."
Chris: "One of the ones with TurbosUnleashed anodized in?"
Me: "No. One with flimsy sheet metal mounts."
Chris: "One bend or two bends in the mount?"
Me: "One. And it was trash, almost burnt my car down."
Chris: "Oh wow, that was one of the first 10 that we sold before we realized the the mounts were garbage and changed suppliers. I'll send you new mounts."

So that's cool. I no longer need to make mounts. Chris is sending me a new aluminum set. Score!

Otherwise, I ordered a Black clutch with 6 puck spring less friction +10% diameter. Also, a TU header, unmachined on the turbo flange which I'll use for the next engine, and then I snagged some poly mounts.

Nice!
~Mark

#235 ·
So I got my parts for my turbo oil feed and return.
Table Wood Circle Font Metal

Start with the return. Easy!
Brown Wood Wood stain Trunk Material property

The little sqeeze-um clamps give some factory appeal. I used boot band clamp pliers for these.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive design

Next for the hardline. I opted for the compression fittings because I haven't spent the money to get a proper flaring tool...

Hand tool Table Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Industry

#236 ·
Routing versus threaded holes was less than desirable so I opted to try hack-a-fabbing some mounts. I liked the outcome except for the fact I bent them the wrong way which revealed the hammer marks...

Hand Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame

I just flattened tubing and bent it over, then welded to a washer.

Shoe Hand tool Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Bicycle fork

Cheater tube so that you can ascertain the dimension from bender toe to back of 90. This is critical to know to layout your bends.

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Floor Automotive exterior

Making some moves. Rolled an offset around the spark plug, and then back-to-back 90 around the head.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Machine

Completed tube.

Wood Hardwood Wire Plywood Jewellery

Installed with the Tee for relocating my quality guage sending unit, not that I don't trust the guage in the dash...

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Machine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.