Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a '91 Spirit R/T that currently has 2 Autometer guages in a pillar pod.I'm not a big fan of pillar pods,matter of fact....I hate them :bash: and would like to get rid of it and mount my boost and O2 guage along with an oil pressure guage elsewhere.Anybody have any creative ways of mounting 3 guages without affecting stereo and A/C duct location?I want to keep the install clean and not so noticeable.When getting pulled over and having these guages staring the cop in the face does nothing to ease the situation surrounding a highspeed infraction :angel: .Thanks.

Frank

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dodge ram steering column pod from Autometer... Part Number 15012. Holds 1 gauge and simply slips right over the top of your column. I got mine on ebay and it works great.

EDIT: Got me stumped on the other two.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Riff-Raff, it sounds like we have a lot in common lately. :D
My "new" R/T also had the piller gauge pod, which I promptly yanked (kills the sleeper effect). I am going to try my luck mounting the gauges (boost, O2) where the traveler/message center is, above the heater controls. I went to the junkyard and pulled a "plain" message center from an '89 spirit with no display, just lamps, and I am going to try to mount the gauges in there. I'll definitly post pictures when it is done.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I installed mine in a pillar pod, and unfortunately, it stands out like a sore thumb at night (detracts from the sleeper look).

I’m going to move mine into the center console compartment in front of the shifter, so I can close the lid and hide them.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i have a tri piller pod next below my headlight switch in the acclaim. hard to see sometimes though. cept when i had the a/f on there i could see it in the front window couse of the reflection.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I know this isn't like the 3rd Gen Dashes but it might give you some ideas...

The top one I bought off ebay a long time ago, the bottom i made myself using ABS plastic.

·
Registered
712 Posts
you could probably find at a hardware store near you.. probably around a 1/8 - 1/4 thick.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
csdodge said:
Hey Riff-Raff, it sounds like we have a lot in common lately. :D
My "new" R/T also had the piller gauge pod, which I promptly yanked (kills the sleeper effect). I am going to try my luck mounting the gauges (boost, O2) where the traveler/message center is, above the heater controls. I went to the junkyard and pulled a "plain" message center from an '89 spirit with no display, just lamps, and I am going to try to mount the gauges in there. I'll definitly post pictures when it is done.

Thats a good Idea but,I want to try and keep everything intact.That thought did cross my mind and I'll probably use that as my last resort.Thanks for the input.

How long ago did you purchase your car?Are you driving it yet?

Frank

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
JAYLO said:
I’m going to move mine into the center console compartment in front of the shifter, so I can close the lid and hide them.
Hmmm....I really like that idea.Set them up in a triangulated pattern and tilted in my direction.Problem is,my compartment would be open all the
time because I like to keep an eye on my oil pressure.....they'd be a little obscure too.Hmmmmmm

OptiCon said:
Dodge ram steering column pod from Autometer... Part Number 15012. Holds 1 gauge and simply slips right over the top of your column. I got mine on ebay and it works great.

I gotta have 3 guages

Chris Faulk said:

Too rich for my blood.Besides,I already have 3 brand new Autometers and they're much easier to see and read at a quick glance.

These are some great Ideas...keep'em comin.

Frank

·
Registered
199 Posts
You want to sell the pillar pod? I am looking for one for my spirit. I also thought of mounting mine where the mesage center id but still haven't decided.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JrVipr said:
You want to sell the pillar pod? I am looking for one for my spirit. I also thought of mounting mine where the mesage center id but still haven't decided.

Heck,If I can settle on a good location for my guages....you can have it for free.I don't think it was made for a Spirit though(previous owner was a Mustang nut).It does'nt fit very nice but is in very nice shape.

Frank

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
RIFF-RAFF said:
Too rich for my blood.Besides,I already have 3 brand new Autometers and they're much easier to see and read at a quick glance.

Frank
If you think an analog gauge is easier to read at a glance, then you've never tried a digital gauge like this.

Actually in the end if you added up all the gauges that the Zeitronix can display...you're not coming out ahead by going with 6 separate analog gauges. That's right 6 gauges in 1 very easy to read display. Lambda/AFR, boost/vacuum, EGT, throttle position, RPM, or user (0 - 5v).

To purchase all these gauges of the same quality and then install them in a nice/neat package.....sorry can't do it with the analog gauges.

How do I know? Well I've tried it in several different cars and both analog and digital.

Price? They come out about even in the end if you account for all I've mentioned.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris Faulk said:
If you think an analog gauge is easier to read at a glance, then you've never tried a digital gauge like this.

Actually in the end if you added up all the gauges that the Zeitronix can display...you're not coming out ahead by going with 6 separate analog gauges. That's right 6 gauges in 1 very easy to read display. Lambda/AFR, boost/vacuum, EGT, throttle position, RPM, or user (0 - 5v).

To purchase all these gauges of the same quality and then install them in a nice/neat package.....sorry can't do it with the analog gauges.

How do I know? Well I've tried it in several different cars and both analog and digital.

Price? They come out about even in the end if you account for all I've mentioned.

I honestly can't see how its easier to look at 3 readings made up of a pile of numbers on a little screen like that as compared to an analog guage.All I'm cocerned with as far as my O2 guage is the color red which I can simply see peripherally and I always rotate my boost guage so that maximum boost puts the needle vertical which is easy to see with a quick darting of the eyes.

Also,I already have my guages and don't have any disposable income at this time to try a $300 digital guage set that I may not like.

I appreciate the input,but for now I'm gonna stick with the analogue set up.Once I get my Daytona going,maybe I'll give the digital a try.Thanks again.

Frank

·
Registered
154 Posts
how bout on top of the dash. it would look alright if you use a smooth lined cowl type unit to put them in so its not like a chunk sticking out. Also I would think if you had some autometers it would'nt piss the cop off more, it would just show how responsible you are. Maybe some neon colored wild lokking gauges would tweak his badge more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
redrocket91rt said:
how bout on top of the dash. it would look alright if you use a smooth lined cowl type unit to put them in so its not like a chunk sticking out.

I once saw a car with guages propped up ontop of the dash in some type of pod.That sounds pretty cool,especially if its in the center of the dash above the A/C ducts with the guages angled to face the driver.

redrocket91rt said:
Also I would think if you had some autometers it would'nt piss the cop off more, it would just show how responsible you are. Maybe some neon colored wild lokking gauges would tweak his badge more.

I can't agree with this statement.I get irritated when I see some kid in a slow Honda with a fart cannon,big wing and wearing a stocking on his head with a pillar pod with a vaccuum and voltage guage in it.I think that if I were a cop,that would help to sway my descision to the side of giving a ticket.I don't want to be associated with that crowd.

Frank

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found some interesting guage pods made by Autometer that mount overhead just like an overhead console above the rearview mirror.The installation that they show is for a Ford pickup.....I wonder if one of those could be modified to fit our cars?I may buy one and modify it as neccesarry as a plug for a fiberglass mold.I could then whip up a couple.Hmmmmm.

Frank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts