Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally /i thought my exaust leak was due to the turbo or exaust manifold being warped. Apon closer inspection I found that the 4 bolts holding the turbo to the exaust manifold have come loose and just need to be tightened. This looks like a Real PITA job to do aswell with everything still in the car. How hard is the job to do and any tricks? I was going to undo the exaust and drop the front mount to lower the motor forward. I also plan on using ALOT of penatrating fluid.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just put a band new HG in about 15000km ago so id rather not do it again. Is their no way to get at it with it still in the car? its an 86 gts T1 with log intake \BTW (I hate not having a sig)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Did you try jacking up the car real high in the air, and try to get at the 4 exhaust bolts underneath? How did you figure out the bolts were loose??

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I bet you could get away with tightening just 3 of the 4 bolts.

From what I hear, you can get to 3 of the 4 bolts without needing special tools.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats very good news. I can tell their loose as I can grab the O2 and move the turbo up down side to side and tilt it whatever way I want. I shall try attacking the bottom two from beneath this week and get the top one. Im really hopping this is going to fix the problem, nothing worse than exaust fumes filling the cabin to ruin the driving experience. If it works it will be first time iv driven the car without the leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it might help to take a 15mm box end wrench and grind it down so the box is only about half as thin as it was, this makes it easy on a t2 motor could probobly help here, just a thought

·
Registered
788 Posts
Exhaust manifold leaks are currently my mortal enemy. I'm currently going through that problem as well and I hope I won't have to pull the whole top end off to get it fixed. :(

·
Registered
393 Posts
A89aries said:
Originally /i thought my exaust leak was due to the turbo or exaust manifold being warped. Apon closer inspection I found that the 4 bolts holding the turbo to the exaust manifold have come loose and just need to be tightened. This looks like a Real PITA job to do aswell with everything still in the car. How hard is the job to do and any tricks? I was going to undo the exaust and drop the front mount to lower the motor forward. I also plan on using ALOT of penatrating fluid.
I bought a 15 x 14mm S-shaped wrench at Autozone. I heated and straightened the 14mm end. The remaining "J-wrench" will easily get to all the bolts on the turbo and with the help of a short piece of pipe they are easily tightened (or removed). You may need to remove the oil and water lines for easier access to the left side bolts. A 3/4" crowfoot wrench with a long extension is the easiest way to get to the upper water fitting. My cars are all L-bodies and this is difficult stuff on these cars. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
mock_GLH do you think you can take a picture of that?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you have some patience you can get to each and every one of them without pulling the head and even without fabbing your own tools. It takes a very long time, and gets very frustrating. I did it in my Omni and it took a good 2 hours to get to all of them. Good luck.

Aaron M
'86 SC
13.4 @ 114, 2.5 60'

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys, gponna do it tomorow hopefully, Should have 3 hours and 45min on the lift to get the job done. Gonna start with the bottom two while im on the lift and then the top passenger side one. any other last minute sugestion/tricks I should know? I know this job is gonna really suck.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*sigh* Well today going into school (where I was going to work) something must have flew up and hit my fuel line because it started to leak. had to walk 6k to get a peice of EFI hose from a dealer (should come with KY) and fixed the fuel line. Had time to check out the bolts when the car was on the lift and I can only see the bottom passenger side one, theirs no way I could even see it. Also The turbo bracket is just hanging loose in the wind as well, im sure that can't be good either. Anyways, it will have to wait for another day I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts