Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Rick Diogo I am the proud possesor of a high flow extruded fuel rail for the one-piece manifold that accepts a fuel pressure regulator in the stock position. Thanks Rick! :p

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For some reason I can't size this #@^% picture to upload! I'll have to take another one. :confused:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK, I think I've got it now!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Looks stock, how was that done to make it high flow??? Extrude honed?

Interesting, as I need to get one done, and I like the stocker look.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Loooking at it, I would assume that the cut off the end of it with the small fuel line, and took out the tube inside it. That would make it a high-flow rail.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Kid Doc said:
Loooking at it, I would assume that the cut off the end of it with the small fuel line, and took out the tube inside it. That would make it a high-flow rail.

Maybe so, bit I would fear starving 3 and 4 with a setup like that. return is to close to the feed, IMO

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
TheGinMill said:
Maybe so, bit I would fear starving 3 and 4 with a setup like that. return is to close to the feed, IMO
I agree. They should be at opposite sides.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kid Doc said:
I agree. They should be at opposite sides.
That would seem to be ideal; I could take off the damper and put an inlet at both ends I suppose. It's not a stock rail with the inner tube removed although it looks like that in the picture; it's made from .75" ID extrusion. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Gents:

I made the rail for John and I can tell you that based on the data I've collected thus far (in terms of both dyno testing and from speaking with a couple guys who have some of the world's fastest Buick GNs) there is a constant pressure across the entire rail (from left to right as you are facing it) and when the injectors fire - sequentially or in batch depending on year and software of SMEC/SBEC (open - measured in ms) more fuel is continually/instantly entering the rail (from the passenger/feed side) and it makes no difference if the regualtor (which is returning fuel to the tank) is located on the left side of the rail, in the middle, or on the opposite end. In *theory* one would think it would be beneficial to have it located on the opposite end of the feed side but in *reality* it just isn't necessary. My car belted out over 500hp at the crank (443SAE ~462STD WHP) with an identical fuel rail to this - over and over and over. That's not what happened in theory.....that's what happened on the rollers.

When we pulled the plugs after the runs all 4 plugs looked identical. Admittedly the motor was getting lean towards the end of the day (as I dropped my base fuel pressure more and more and watched the power go up and up). My first pull (if memory serves me) was 392 SAE WHP at 18psi boost. I can pull up the dyno sheets to be sure. I have copies of the dyno sheets if anyone is interested. I did this back in 2000. The car has been sitting (with boxes piled on top of it) for quite some time now. Car ran a best of 11.40 at 128mph on 7" wide slicks, with so much wheelspin that I never got a decent ET out of it. I watched as an RX-7 ran a 10.40 at 127mph the following day. A fellow Shelby/Dodge Auto club member was there to witness the car make 21 passes, most of which were back to back (the track was rented out that night by the company he works for - a tire manufacturer). He asked me to bring the car so he could show some of his buddys that he works with the car and so that I could get some decent runs out of the car because on a typical night you're lucky to get in 3 runs (all of which are usually about an hour apart).

The rail works. None of the injectors are starved from what I've seen in testing. Any questions feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Rick Diogo
RDI Performance
87 Shelby GLHS #160 - 16v

·
Registered
345 Posts
That's a nice piece of work. At what horsepower level should we start to worry about rail restrictions? Also, are 2 piece rail designs available?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts