Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres what i have done to it, HP head, ported: intake, exhaust man. 568 + HP clutch new shafts, starter, alternator, waterpump, blaster2 coil, cap roter, new halleffect sensor. and some other crap too. In an 89 2.5 turbo daytona

what its doing is this, the first sensor blew after being driven maybe a mile. this second one has lasted about 200 miles and now is bad. is there something i could be missing that makes this happen? the ones i am buying are the more expensive of the 2 napa has. any help is great thanks!!

:bang head

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I used to manage the Mopar Tech Hotline. I have had customers before with four or five bad in a row. Try to convince someone over the phone that you KNOW that's what the problem is when there is four bad ones in a row. These were Standard brand and this was about ten years ago. Fortunately, he bought a Mopar brand and I never heard from him again after he called me to tell me I was right.

·
Administrator
24,827 Posts
+1 on Mopar HEP.
Also DO NOT bend the wiring down the side of the distributor as the factory had it.
The wiring in the HEP harness is very fragile and WILL break if run this way.
I used electrical tape to reinforce the harness where it exits the distributor so it will not bend and Loop the harness around to the engine harness connector and secure it to the engine harness with black wire ties. You do not want any sharp bends in the harness.
Be very careful when reinstalling the water shield on the distributor so as not to Pinch the harness.
To gkcooper, you worked on the Star Hotline? I am a Jeep Tech.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Nope, I ran the Mopar Hotline for Fuel Injection. I was based out of Accuflight joint venture in Atlanta.

+1 on Mopar HEP.
Also DO NOT bend the wiring down the side of the distributor as the factory had it.
The wiring in the HEP harness is very fragile and WILL break if run this way.
I used electrical tape to reinforce the harness where it exits the distributor so it will not bend and Loop the harness around to the engine harness connector and secure it to the engine harness with black wire ties. You do not want any sharp bends in the harness.
Be very careful when reinstalling the water shield on the distributor so as not to Pinch the harness.
To gkcooper, you worked on the Star Hotline? I am a Jeep Tech.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, Im gunna go buy a mopar one now, and reinforce it. easy part to replace but pain when and where ever it decides to break.

·
Administrator
24,827 Posts
This is one part that having an extra at home or in the car is like having insurance.
The best insurance is the insurance you have and never have to use.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I just needed a new HEP for a 99 ram at work not long ago and Napa had one in stock and mopar did not price was the same. We waited the 1 day to get the mopar one. The guys from Napa know I price check and always like when I report back on prices and would have done the same as we did on this item. +1 on getting a mopar unit.
Tim

·
Registered
314 Posts
had a 89 T1 shadow that had a broken wire on the HEP would randomly die and randomly restart when it wanted to.
put a new one from carquest in it lasted about 2 weeks. then another one that didn't last over a day. took car to the parts store and tried 4 others they had on hand. car wouldn't start with any of them. finnaly went to the dodge dealer picked one up and never had a problem with it since it's been about 8 years now.
won't ever buy anything but mopar HEP again. the laser I purchased a couple months ago has 3 HEP's laying in the back seat one in some off brand box, and whadaya know the car was randomly dying on the guy.
I'll be heading to dodge for a replacement whenever I do get the car back together lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just find this puzzling as i have worked with many turbo, and non turbo dodges, hadnt had the problem untill now, but then again we did always replace the HEP with every tune up. thanks for the info guys im sure its gunna help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts