Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Has anyone used replacement 4x6 headlight housings?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  stargazer7467 
#1 ·
This will be one of a few posts about my 'new' 1987 Lancer ES I just picked up. (I just rolled 38,000 miles on the test drive :D LOVE IT!). But, I live in somewhat rural OR and "old time" (UG! Am I really that old) lights just don't cut it for me any more. All my other cars that I drive regularly (95 Roadmaster, 95 DeVille, 94 Continental, 05 Magnum R/T) I've already 'converted' to HID kits and LOVE IT!!!! The difference is beyond compare! However, I'm JUST starting to dive into the realm of "conversion bulbs". (A 4x6 "headlight" with no light in it, but the ability to add an H4 or other 'modern' light). So I know the HID bulbs will fit, but I'm curious about the wiring connectors... Surely not the market those guys are in (cars this old).

If anyone's done these, especially with HID or LED conversion bulbs, PLEASE contact me or post here. I think this could be a HUGE benefit for others who may don't know about the ability to change them. I know they also make the 'square' size for single light cars like the newer Datona's etc.

THANKS!

#4 ·
Was just coming here to say get the Hella's. Glad someone beat me to it. But that is not enough. The headlights need to be relayed. Stock all the power goes through the headlight switch and kills all the volts that actually get the the bulb. Upgrading to the ECE light get's you the nice beam pattern so you can see the road and not blind on-coming cars. But relaying them in is what makes them really through the light. If you need more of a description in how to do this just let me know. I've done it on my Daytona and throw more light on the ground than new HID systems with stock 55w bulbs.

#7 ·
I was looking into getting the Hella headlights for my 1991 Daytona, but putting the standard sealed beam units on relays sounds more promising. I just took a quick glance in my wiring diagrams service manual and the '91 headlights appear to already be on relays. I'm not sure what year your Daytona is, but from what I've seen so far, I assume my only option would be to buy the Hella lights. Got anything that would help me figure out what I can do?

#5 ·
Thanks and GLH, I'll be in touch for sure to learn more. I JUST got notified that I'm leaveng town for work (normal in my job) and flying cross country so It'll be next week before I'm in touch on anything. Just don't think I flaked! :)

Thanks everyone!

#9 ·

Here is the headlight system wiring for the '91 model year. Looks to me like there is a relay. Was planning on getting some yellow LED bulbs (H4 socket) if I got the Hella lights because the halogens that come with the kit draw more power and I don't want to have to upgrade the electrical system around it. Maybe the standard lights need a ballast like fluorescent tube lights do? Not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.