Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, While replacing the head gasket on my beloved 88 Lebaron 2.2 turbo today, the one rear head bolt between cylinders 3 and 4 effortlessly snapped off:( Very very rusted! Only about a 1/8 of inch of the bolt is sticking up above the deck, how can I get his out??? This is a low mile well maintained great running engine, I'm at a loss here!

Chad

·
Registered
159 Posts
i had success once by using my dremel to cut a slot on the bolt. then i used a flathead screwdriver to remove it. i may have heated it with a torch as well. good luck

·
Administrator
24,983 Posts
If the bolt is seized in the block DO NOT try to use an easy out/bolt extractor.
If the bolt is that tight the extractor will not turn it and may break off in the stud and if that happens and you cannot get the broken piece out you will not be able to drill because the extractor is hardened.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Last one that broke for me was just enough to put a pipe wrench on it to get it out.
I had an exhaust stud break once, I made a bushing that went inside the e manifold
mounting hole where the stud broke off, that had a 3/16" hole in it.
I mounted the manifold back on the head and centered it the best I could.
Drilled the hole 3/16",(8mm is the mounting bolt)
and then drilled it to the 8mm thread size drill.
Then I took a pick and pulled what was left of the threads out of the hole.
Maybe use the same method for the head bolt.
Key is to get it centered as close as possible, that's what the drill bushing is for.
You can buy drill bushings from McMaster-Carr if one fits the through hole for the head bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Usually works on all kind of broken bolts. Put a big nut on the part sticking out and weld it to the bolt,then you can usually screw it right out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, thanks for all the help, but no luck so far, been soaking it in PB and used heat and vice grips, bolt is just crumbling. Theirs not enough to put bolts on and I don't have a welder. I'll keep trying and try the drill out extractor last resort.

Chad

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! Finely got it out! Took nearly a can of PB blaster spritzed on it several times a day for nearly a week and A LOT of heat and it came out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks everyone! Finely got it out! Took nearly a can of PB blaster spritzed on it several times a day for nearly a week and A LOT of heat and it came out.
Glad you got it out yea some times they don't even come out but you got lucky and had enough bolt to get vise grips on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts