Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i'm just about to put back on my head on the 2.5l T1, but lately found that i could turn it by hand, but it wouldn't crank with the starter. fortunately, taking off that starter is easy with the head still off, hehe.

i can only hear the relay clicking, it's the relay for sure, i had the finger on it while cranking and it's that soft sound click type..
well, the problem is neither the starter nor the solenoid that's making trouble because i had them tested and saw it work in person. so i tried the 850 CCA Optima battery :cool: from the TA but no change :(

which other reasons are there for a not cranking starter? i disassembled that thing about a year ago and the starter was always working well. are there any security system issues or is it just the cables, or the relay?

i'm grateful for every hint or solution...

thanks in advance,
greetz janus

·
Administrator
25,746 Posts
The starter has 2 power feeds, 1 is constant 12 volts from the + batt. cable, the other is 12 volts on the smaller solenoid wire only when the key is in the start position.
The smaller wire is powered from the starter relay, just because it is clicking does not mean it is functioning properly.The relay has 4 wires, 1 is constant 12 volts, 1 is 12 volts with the key in the start position, 1 is a ground and the other is the feed to the starter.
The constant power is from a fuseable link at the battery and the other is from the ignition switch.
Start by connecting a test light to the small wire on the solenoid and attempt to start, if the test light does not illuminate test at the relay output. If there is no power at the relay output test the power supply to the relay and the ground, if ok replace the starter relay.
If this is an automatic you also have a neutral safety switch that provides the ground, if it is manual there may be a clutch safety switch on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You need the heavy ground wire to the head hooked up but that ain't gonna do you any good with the head off. There is also a brown ground wire to the top of the transmission that need to be hooked up.

If the starter worked before pulling it apart, it should be good to go when it's all back together.

Hey I just noticed Austria! I can't believe that Boesendorfer was sold to Yamaha.
There is also "austrian dodge" on some forum. You might want to try to find him.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys,

thanks for your great replies! i will try the methods posted for testing the relay, and i was thinking about faulty grounds as well!
you know, i just didnt want to put it all back together and end up not being able to start it ;)
i'm gonna give the posted suggestions a shot and come back to you.

btw, bösendorfer is like two quarter-mile runs down the road from my garage :D one wouldnt believe to talk about that on TD hehe!
oh and yeah, i already got to know austrian_dodge -- i don't know if i would still be willing to put that thing together without the infos and phone-support of that great guy :thumb:

greetz

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I don't want to clutter your thread, but I met a young guy that stumbled out of college with a piano performance degree and wound up the Bose rep for the US. I complimented him on his presentation and wound up with his Bosendorfer pen.

I have one customer with a Bose and they were thinking about going back to London. I told them that I had no right to tell them where to live but the piano was staying. ;) They are still in St. Louis.

They are the lamborghini of pianos. I would tune them for free if I could afford it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts