Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh No! Not Another Problem!!!! :( Seems My 87 Daytona Is Starting To Show It's Age With Things Drying Out, Cracking, Breaking Or Coming Loose. I Thought I Fixed Nearly Everything And While Driving Last Weekend With The T-tops Off, I Saw Fabric Floating From My Rear View Mirror. The Head Liner Is Starting To Detach Right Where The Hatch Starts. Any Suggestions How To Fix Before It Gets Worse Other Than Replacing The Liner? Thanks!!

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
oh No! Not Another Problem!!!! :( Seems My 87 Daytona Is Starting To Show It's Age With Things Drying Out, Cracking, Breaking Or Coming Loose. I Thought I Fixed Nearly Everything And While Driving Last Weekend With The T-tops Off, I Saw Fabric Floating From My Rear View Mirror. The Head Liner Is Starting To Detach Right Where The Hatch Starts. Any Suggestions How To Fix Before It Gets Worse Other Than Replacing The Liner? Thanks!!
Just get it fixed now... It will only get worse.
It will be a waste of time to "fix this one spot" and "that other little spot over there"

· Registered
2,387 Posts
You can buy the material and glue for under 40 bucks. Take the time to remove it and be sure to scrape all the old glue off. After that, spray the glue on the cardboard and lightly set the material onto it, gently rubbing over it with your hand, but being sure not to pull or tug on it. Then, after it's dried, check to make sure you don't have to spray any glue along the edges. Once it is drived (a half hour or forty five minutes should do it), flip it over and spray the glue on the back edges so you can then tuck the material over onto the back of the headliner board. 3M makes a big spray can of glue that works very nice. It's about $16 from what I remember. Once it's all done, have a tiny razor blade to cut small slices int he material for the holes where screws go through (such as visors, hanger holders, trim pieces)

· Registered
478 Posts
If you manage to get the old material off without tearing it and if it's good shape (no stains or major flaws) then I would think you could reuse it if you really wanted to, but for the price of just some fabric then I personally would just replace it. I don't really know where to get the fabric but I am guessing any interior place would sell ya some...

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Where can one get the material? What glue? Can one reuse the old material and just reglue it?
I would think you could reuse it if you really wanted to,
Headliner stuff is foam backed. Foam deteriorates and thats why the headliner starts falling on your head.

Many fabric stores carry the foam-backed headliner material and you may find something that matches closely, but If you need it to match perfectly you'll be looking elsewhere. It doesn't cost too much to have a shop do it but if you want the feeling of doing it yourself, its pretty straightforward.
Once you get the cardboard backer out of the car, strip all the foam fuzzies off so its clean, dry, cardboard. you need to use some heavy duty hearliner adhesive from a good company like 3M. Follow the directions on the can, it will go something like this:
-lay the material on the cardboard like it supposed to be,
-fold 1/2 of it back to reveal foam backing and cardboard,
-spray both the cardboard and the foam,
-let it setup a little then fold it over and begin applying the material to the cardboard,
-once thats secure, fold the other half over and repeat the above steps,
-you can now trim any side that gets covered by molding and any exposed side will want a little folded over so you don't see cardboard.

The hardest part will be getting it in and out of the car....
... and thats why sometimes a shop makes sense.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
I replaced the headliner fabric in my 87 Pacifica with bulk fabric I got from stockinteriors.com They will send you samples if you want so you can see which one you like. The hardest part is getting the fiberglass backing in and out of the car. You have to take all the trim pieces off and kind of be gentle pulling it out as its tucked behind the b-pillar trim a bit. But with a little finesse it comes out just fine. Also on a T-Top car the material gets tucked in around the the T-Top framework, be sure to leave yourself PLENTY of extra material to account for this you can trim as you go. I have a few pics on my cardomain page that shows how it went in. turbot11's 1987 Dodge Daytona on CarDomain - Page 4
All in all I spent $45 on it and it was done in an afternoon and Im much happier with the new fabric that what was stock.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
WOW good job. I never did a Daytona, the fiberglass must suck to work with. It kinda reminds me of a certain type of drop tile used in basement ceilings.

· Registered
478 Posts
Guess I forgot the material was foam backed....no re-using it for you!!!!

The only thing I would worry about is my carboard crumbling up on me....I have had that happen with a 73 duster....it deteriorated when I tried gettin the fabric off (some idiot tried to do a headliner and must have used elmers school glue to hold it on... $#%&

· Registered
428 Posts
I put some primer paint on the headliner board of the last couple headliners. Number 1, it helped to hold the old fiberglass material together a little better, and two, it gave me a better surface to bond with. I bought my fabric at Joanns fabric with a 50% off coupon. Paid much much less then an automotive supply house charges. However the selection is very limited...gray, blue, maroon...

· Registered
1,526 Posts
Advance sells the material in various colors. It might not be a perfect match, but if you look at most of our vehicles, whether from age or quality, the interior is usually various shades of the same color anyway. And it's not just FWD Mopars I'm talking about. The sun always fades everything BUT the headliner.

· Banned
1,112 Posts
well you got it easy since you're daytona is a hatch
remove all the stuff like overhead lights, sunvisors, laundry hooks, front rear trim, apillar trim and at least one interior quarter trim panel, slide the board out.
peel the old cloth off and dispose- theres no saving it.
remove as much of the foam backing from the cloths as you can from the headliner board. the best thing ive ever used to do this was a dual head buffer with plastic bristle brushes attached in place of buffer pads.took all the foam residue off like it was nothing and didnt damage headliner boards. you could also use one of the small floor scrubbers like a bissel floor scrubber, dry with no soap or water to scrub off the foam. if you dnt have acess to either one a simple plastic bristle scrub brush will work just fine.
the material and glue is avaliable at autozone, parts america and most other parts stores, or it can be found at most large fabric shops too. you either want to use 3M general spray adhiesive, or 3M super77 spray adheisive. either one works but the super 77 is better
take your new material, and hang it like a poster with a pair of thumbtacks on each corner and spray the whole underside(foam side) with an even coat of glue
if youre using the general trim adhesive, spray from about 4 inches or so away with the valve on the H setting. you'll see it make a wide spray pattern, and cover the entire cloth with that stuff, be sure to overlap a little on the top and bottom of each pass with the glue- when youre done spraying the glue it should almost look like siding- horizontal stripes that slightly overlap each other. if the glue is going on the cloth stringy, youre too far away- those strings will show through in the headliner material.
do the same thing to the headliner board
the glue is dry and ready to stick when the headliner material no longer feels cold- about 3-4 minutes depending on how thick you sprayed the glue
have an assistant help you with covering the board
hold the material over the board and let the center droop down.
take your hand and push the center of the material down while still holding the edges up and smooth it onto the board from the center out to the edges.
once the bottom of the board is covered, flip it over and spray a 1-2 inch wide line of glue around the edge, when this dries fold the material over the edge and stick the edges down.
take a brand new razor blade and make a small slit over the coat hanger hook holes, the sunvisor holes, sun visor clip holes and the domelight hole.
recovered headliner is ready to go into the car

i worked at a detail shop in high school, and one of our services was recovering headliners- did like 3-4 of em a day.
hatch back cars are very easy to do
full size vans and stationwagons sucked because most of em had 2 piece headliners.
sedans werent bad, but it was a pain trying to get the board out of the car, had to get board loose and down, turn it sideways and carefully slide it out the front door. these cars had the headliner installed before the winshield was installed so its not very easy to get it out with the glass there

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts

· Registered
1,258 Posts
For glue use the 3M 90 High strength over the super 77, I've had mixed results using the 77 as the replacement liners only stay up for a year or two, some started sagging partially. The last one I did using the 90 has been good for a year so far.

· Registered
136 Posts
When I got my daytona, the fabric on the roof was completely spent... I yanked the headliner board out and peeled the fabric off it... as for the foam... I found a scrub brush (No soap, no water... just a dry, clean plastic brush) made short work of the remaining foam/glue... where I went wrong was I decided to go fancy with it... I glued foam wrap (The thin stuff) on the board for padding... and then used black leather-grain vinyl.... I found the heavy dutiest spray adhesive I could find for interiors... and the vinyl proved too heavy... (Or maybe because the interior of the car is black and in the sun it gets hot enough to reduce matter to plasma). I'm going to yank it out one of these days and redo it.. perhaps use some sort of caulk smeared thin... because the vinyl looked so damned good...

· Registered
478 Posts
By the sounds of it, the headliner of my rampage shouldn't be as hard to get out as some of the other cars....I have a little roof =)

That really didn't help you any, I am just thinkin I am lucky after hearing the trouble other people had...

· Banned
1,112 Posts
yup rampage headliners are EASY- just like doing a pickup truck.
i wouldnt use the 3M 90 glue- its too thick and it can show thru the headliner material. the 3M general trim adhesive works great if you dont wana use the super77, just remember you gotta spray the material AND the board for it to work.
if you wana do vynil leather suede aligator ostrich , dont use any padding at all
use vynil top adhesive for the glue, and and old spray gun to apply it. it'll come out looking like silly string, but thats the only way you'll be able to get the heavier materials like vinyl or leather to stay up.i prefer suede, looks nice as hell and still has a soft feel.
vynil leather etc, before you spray it down with the glue, leave it out in the sun for an hour or so so its nice and warm, makes it much more pliable and easier to work into the curved areas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.