Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripping out this rotted 86 Lebaron and can't find the bolts holding the header panel on. How do you remove the front clip off this car? Also is the turn signal stalk removable? I destroyed a harbor freight puller on the steering wheel already.
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's getting scrapped tomorrow can I just mangle it somehow? I already bought a puller and it only fit one bolt so had to bend it and hammer it so don't want to buy anymore tools..
You might need an extra set of hands, but what you need to do is (evenly) push down on the lock plate (the thin circular piece of metal that looks like a gear) to reveal the clip (on the center shaft - just below the jaws of your vise grips). You may be able to spread your fingers on one hand and push the lock plate down while using your other hand to pop off the circlip with a small flat-blade screwdriver (or pick). The clip is snapped into a groove on the shaft.

In the absence of the tool, you might be able to open a large crescent wrench and use that to push down on the lock plate.

Once you get the lock plate off you will be able to unscrew the fasteners for the turn signal stalk and unplug/remove it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might need an extra set of hands, but what you need to do is (evenly) push down on the lock plate (the thin circular piece of metal that looks like a gear) to reveal the clip (on the center shaft - just below the jaws of your vise grips). You may be able to spread your fingers on one hand and push the lock plate down while using your other hand to pop off the circlip with a small flat-blade screwdriver (or pick). The clip is snapped into a groove on the shaft.

In the absence of the tool, you might be able to open a large crescent wrench and use that to push down on the lock plate.

Once you get the lock plate off you will be able to unscrew the fasteners for the turn signal stalk and unplug/remove it. Best of luck.
OK thanks I'll try it tomorrow also do you have any idea how to take the front panel header everything off I can't see any screws holding it to the fenders or anything

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,733 Posts
Sorry, no. Have never done that job.
Inside the column, covered by the cloth disc are two small screws that retain the cruise control switch to the wiper switch. That will get it off. Why not just take the 5 10mm special nuts off and yank the whole column?

Inside the front fenders are two 7/16" across the flats nuts that hold the ends of the front header panel to the fenders, in the center there are several more 10mm head bolts that hold the metal braces to the radiator support. See if this helps:
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Diagram

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inside the column, covered by the cloth disc are two small screws that retain the cruise control switch to the wiper switch. That will get it off. Why not just take the 5 10mm special nuts off and yank the whole column?

Inside the front fenders are two 7/16" across the flats nuts that hold the ends of the front header panel to the fenders, in the center there are several more 10mm head bolts that hold the metal braces to the radiator support. See if this helps:
View attachment 282600
The car is in a backyard on a hill I'm actually going to "drive" it onto the flatbed using the vice grips as a steering wheel and the brakes are actually still functional.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,733 Posts
Save the heat shields, they are turbo specific. If you are not going to use them, I would be interested in the front bumper shock mounts. Also any of the convertible top items that are salvageable (others may also be interested as they are unique to the early convertibles).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Save the heat shields, they are turbo specific. If you are not going to use them, I would be interested in the front bumper shock mounts. Also any of the convertible top items that are salvageable (others may also be interested as they are unique to the early convertibles).
If anyone wants anything off the car you can have it for free if you're local 02169.

I was going to take the rear bumper support off for my station wagon but just too tired from stripping the car down and the yard is full of dog poop so I don't wanna lay in that again. I almost got the fenders off but bolts spinning forever gave up for now....

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,733 Posts
No wonder it's rusted. I am not near you unfortunately, I am down on Virginia's appendix (Eastern Shore) Zip 23350.

Does it have the "Turbo" fender badges? I wish I was closer, I would love to get a Turbo hood for mine.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No wonder it's rusted. I am not near you unfortunately, I am down on Virginia's appendix (Eastern Shore) Zip 23350.

Does it have the "Turbo" fender badges? I wish I was closer, I would love to get a Turbo hood for mine.
Stripped all that stuff off it's essentially just a rolling frame at this point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts