Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am teetering between a few options on a '94 duster I recently got my hands on, Turbo Swap, Junk, or Fix.

Its a TBI car and it needs a Head Gasket. I was quoted waaay more than I want to spend on the car to fix, so I am looking into other options.

I see Head Gaskets and Bolt sets on ebay for super cheap, but the years don't match up..

eBay Motors: FELPRO HEAD SET DODGE CHRYSLER 2.2 2.5 NON TURBO 89 -90 (item 310006879101 end time May-08-08 11:50:37 PDT)

I know its not the superior MLS gasket, but I am thinking if I leave this car TBI, this is a great price and would should work. I just want a run around car that gets better mileage than my Dakota.

Is there a different HG for different years? I was under the assumption they were pretty much all the same, even across the 2.2 and 2.5 platform.

Is the same for the Head Bolts? Or do I need specific year and engine size for them? There is a set up on there but it only lists the 2.2 for application.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
there are many ways to attack this. you could just go to any autoparts store and get just a head gasket then do a slip/slide. (assuming you didn't overheat the engine severely). this shortcut works about 80% of the time. you don't need new head bolts or any other parts. just a head gasket (RTV for the valve cover) and thats about it. the other problem with the short cut method is the gasket will fail again but not for quite some time (I get 30k-80k) life doing this. which isn't uncommon for even the OEM gasket. there's no reason to buy a whole head set unless you're getting a valve job too, pulling the cam, removing the intake/exhaust etc.

my record time on a slip/slide 2.2 TBI head gasket was 45min start to finish including oil change. but that was on a non-air 86 k-car and I've done a lot of these over the years. for a novice with decent tools, shop manual and problem solving skills, a saturday project is all this job should take. I remember my first one was a 1981 K-car wagon with a stick. took me better part of a whole day and no shop manual, no internet and I was only 16 at the time

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I think what you need to know is that head bolts are all the same beginning in 1986 to 1994 (2.2 or 2.5 are all the same). Headgaskets 2.2 and 2.5 are the same except there are differences for turbo vs non turbo and 1986-1994 is the same prior to that is different. Just pick one up at a parts store or go to your dodge dealer and order up a Mopar performance headgasket. THose are usually pretty cheap like $25.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
^^ what he said.

The only thing about the headbolts, is the good mopar ones have gone UP UP in price. Expect to pay about $25 for the gasket and about $40-50 for the bolts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts