Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of articles on headliner replacement, but none that deal with having a sunroof involved. Mine looks to be dealer installed unit and it does not leak. I'd like to keep it that way and have a nice headliner. Tips, advice, special tools needed?

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
It looks like if you remove the screws from the inside that ring would come down. If that's the case, it should let you remove the board so you can recover it. I would try to not disturb the upper portion, since it probably has some kind of sealant under it. If it did move around, I'd just take it off, clean under it, and stick it back down with weatherstrip adhesive before reassembly.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If replacement parts are available, I would pull that thing out and fix that roof.
I might even weld that hole shut as I hate sunroof/t-tops.

otherwise
+1 for the previous answer.

Good luck with that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! It looks like a pretty easy job, but since it's 20+ years old, I'm not wanting to do more harm than good. I on the other hand, am a fan of sunroofs, but if it does leak after I redo the liner I might just end up welding it shut.....

I'm new to all this so when I get this project started I'll post a thread about it

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Thats the same style roof I have. Your headliner was cut a little closer to the roof than mine was.

The screws do hold the upper to the lower. The upper half is glued to the roof with butyl tape, the lower should just pull out. That roof should have a rubber strip that sits in a track near the inner edge of the inner frame (where the hole for the glass is. Your headliner matl is cut longer, and wraps over the frame to cover all the screws. Then is just pressed in the channel with a plastic scraper or screwdriver. Then the rubber strip is pressed back into the frame.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've seen a lot of articles on headliner replacement, but none that deal with having a sunroof involved. Mine looks to be dealer installed unit and it does not leak. I'd like to keep it that way and have a nice headliner. Tips, advice, special tools needed?
It's actually a lot simpler than it first appears.
In my build log(linked below), I detail the tools and materials needed, and how I replaced mine.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f279/459649-1987-glhs-0896-project-log-4.html#post3012674

Best wishes to you my friend. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts