Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a coolant system problem for a while which I just can't figure out. What aside from a blown headgasket, (HG is good I've been keeping a careful eye on it) would cause the coolant system to be pressurized? I was thinking I might have a pinhole that could be sucking air in the system, but who knows. I was also thinking it might be a sticky thermostat, but I don't understand how that would effect my heat. (in cabin) The past week I have been watching my heat gauge rise to almost overheating level, then drop down to the cold lines. After the gauge pops once or twice I get cabin heat again. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

-Joe

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
if your radiator or heater core are severely plugged it could result in symptoms like what you are describing. you can try to flush the sytem, or have someone professionally flush it.

·
Banned
355 Posts
are you loosing coolant?
No... then you have air in the system.
back flush the heater, could be clogged. check the heater control valve , they tend to leak.
and try changing the thermostat, the rising and falling of the temp is usually just a few things like a lazy stat. low coolant level , bad radiator cap.
and Yes the coolant system should have psi, about 16 if the cap is working right.
be careful low cooling systems create steam which is bad on hoses and water pump seals.
That's my thoughts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping to be able to switch the thermo this weekend, I may pick up a flush as well. Is there any other spots that air could enter the system aside from the cap that air could enter. I know on some vehicles (I can't remember if our's are included) the bottom rad hose has a habit of letting air and dirt in. Thanks for your help, I will let you guys know what happens after this weekend.

-Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts