Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear defrost is not working ,I have a hayes repair book but the wiring diagram just shows that it is linked to the underhood lamp but it has the bulb removed so i"m not sure if it works either is thier a HOW TO for this problem , the switch dose not light ,where does the wires from the hatch
plug in any help is appreciated:bash:

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Here are the basics for checking the Rear Window Defogger.
1) turn the ignition on
2) turn the rear window defogger switch on
3) monitor the vehicle voltmeter, with the control switch ON a distinct needle deflection should be noted.
4)If the vehicle is not equipped with a voltmeter system operation can be checked by feeling the glass.A distinct difference in temperature between the grid lines a adjacent glass can be detected in 3-4 minutes of operation.
5) using a dc voltmeter connect term B with the - lead(passenger side) and term A with the + lead(drivers side),the voltmeter should read 10 - 14 volts.
Only steps 3,4,5 will confirm system operation. Indicator light illumination means there is power available at the output of the relay only and does not necessarily verify system operation.
If the rear window defogger does not operate the problem should be isolated in the following manner :
1) confirm the ignition switch is on
2)ensure the heated rear glass feed wire is connected to the terminal or pigtail and that the ground wire is in fact grounded.
3)ensure that the fuseable link and control circuit fuse is operational and all electrical connectors are secure.
When the above steps have been completed and the system is still inoperative one or more of the following is defective :
a)Control switch/timer relay module
b)rear window grid lines(all grid lines would have to be broken) or one of the feed wires is not connected for the system to be inoperative.
If turning the switch ON produces severe voltage deflection,the circuit should be closely checked for a shorting condition.

·
Registered
709 Posts
any diagrams for a 88 shadow? mine wont work either (dont mean to hi-jack) but when my buddy had the car, he said if he had the radio on, then turned the rear defrost on, it would blow the radio circuit. As i read above something about the hood light... does it really have something to do with it? i dont even have a light under there lol the defrost light wont even come on when i hit the button.. does absolutely nothing.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
I wil get you a diagram for an 88 Shadow.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Not a problem, anything else needed let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts