Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
1)The only 2 hoses I am concerned with at this moment are the 2 at the heater core, are they both hot?
I've noticed with AC cars the coolent by passes the core at the valve when the valve is old or the core gets plugged. may be hot hoses at the engine and cold hoses at the fire wall :thumb:

·
Administrator
25,991 Posts
The OP states that the heat worked great until he removed and re-installed the T-Stat.
My experience tells me if something was fine before and not fine after it is usually related to something that happened during the repair.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
The OP states that the heat worked great until he removed and re-installed the T-Stat.
My experience tells me if something was fine before and not fine after it is usually related to something that happened during the repair.
yes that would be, BUT the car gets hot and the inlet for the heater core is under the stat.

If it gets hot there is a restriction that can allow the pump to pull coolent, so even though that is what he changed it has to be working at least OK for the heater if the engine gets up to temp. Even with an air bubble stuck in there, he should get coolent up to the core.

So being that they put the inlet right at the stat. Did you drop a chunk of gasket into the head? Did the old stat drop parts and come apart when it failed? How about a chunk of silicone?

So disconnecting the line at the stat and the pump and hitting the hose at the pump end with a garden hose to flush backwards is looking at the problem if he just changed the stat :thumb: Again based off that it is getting hot. L bodys are a lot worse though going back to the rad instead of to the pump, you just drill a hole in the stat a hair too big and no heat lol.:bang head

The no flush in a long time is suspect too, may have had a pile of crud break loose and find it's way to the core after draining and filling the system. That is "thin" though for a guess. Water pump housing porting is a do it regardless mod :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
what i am going today is fire the car off and get it to temp then i can get you some answers cause it has been a while since it has run.
am i right in understanding that the heater need restriction from the t-stat to operate properly?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
i went out and ran the car and all three hoses get hot but takes some time to get there was much faster when i first got the car from what i can tell both the heater core and the rad are restricted and need to be cleaned out
so i am going to flush everything out i did find one thing i thought was odd
with the ac button out the rad fan is on but the heater fan does not come on
kinda odd i am thinking it is moisture in the controls in the cab
reason for moisture is i have plexiglass in the rear hatch kinda has a seam and is exposed

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
defrost makes the AC fan come on

yeah the stat has to restrict flow or there isn't the pressure drop to get coolent to the heater.

you could also clamp the lower rad hose and see if it gets warmer too

·
Legendary Driver
10,988 Posts
defrost makes the AC fan come on

yeah the stat has to restrict flow or there isn't the pressure drop to get coolent to the heater.

you could also clamp the lower rad hose and see if it gets warmer too
The stat is there to keep coolant in the rad longer so it has time to cool off so that engine temp can be regulated.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
The stat is there to keep coolant in the rad longer so it has time to cool off so that engine temp can be regulated.
that is obvious, what isn't is how they also effect TD heaters

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.