Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, :)

My friend finally gave up and sold me his 79 Colt, after bothering him for 3 years! I love driving this car but the engine has to go, it's a 1.6 with a 904 3 speed auto tranny. Am doing my homework to see what options are available.

I must add that my very first car was a 1977 when I was stationed in Fort Campbell, KY back in 1982. (pict)

Andres

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Nice car, that is very mint. A 2.0 doc will fit nicely in there and you know what else can happen...

· Registered
2,028 Posts
There is 4 or so turbo 4cyl colts running around. One guy has a Mitsubishi engine, a couple have a dodge 2.4DOHC turbo motors and 904/727 trans with an adapter(sold on here for $350), or you can use a Toyota supra manual trans w/ a 2.4(Liberty bellhousing modded) or 2.2/2.5SOHC motor(Dakota bellhousing). Another guy has a Hybrid motor(2.2 or 2.5 with a neon DOHC head) and 904 trans.

All of these guys have high HP setups, most of them know the 4cyl turbo motors very well and chose RWD for drag racing purposed

I would just keep the 904 and buy a adapter from turbocolt, and buy a 95-99 dodge stratus 2.4DOHC motor and get MegaSquirt to run it(neons.org has all the info you would ever need about MS). Then you can turbo it later easily if your into that and your budget will allow. It really depends on what tools you have and your ability to fabricate, if you have a welder many things are possible.

Oh and thats a damn nice car looks mint!!

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks speeduphoria :)

I was good info,:p
I been going back and forth on what engine/tranny combo to go with, my background are Mazda's rotary/VW's, TD's are new to me:eek:
A couple friends with 2.2 are running their cars with junk yards parts and have some fast fun cars, am about $3,000.00 short of getting my RX-4 they way I want, so am hooking up the Colt first.

My friend gave me a 88/2.2 turbo and we are picking up a 88 Dakota manual with a 2.2 common this afternoon so I would like to make all work for the mean time.
My plan is to make a 12sec street car, so am doing all my homework in here!:D

Thanks again,:thumb:

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...OR:

4g63?
Yeap, that was one of my options:eek:, after doing some research I decide to go with the TD's. I can go to the j yard right now and find bucku parts for the TD's, my friend is running his 87 Shelby complete engine from the J yard
($150.00)and is running 13's with 23lbs of boost and loving it!

I just got to figure out the 904 to 2.2/2.5 adaptor :confused:

4g63's dont last hours! :eek: at the parts yard, at least here in Colorado.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.