Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
My name's John and I own a 1997 Avenger, the 2.5L model. I take that back, it used to have a 2.5L in there, but another Mitsu motor was swapped in its place. The 4g63 from a 1995 Mitsu Eclipse GSX. So...I now have a turbo AWD Dodge Avenger. I have a few mods listed on my CarDomain site if anyone is interested to see, you'll have to click my profile since I can't post URLs until after my fifth post though (as per rule).
I found this site doing research for someone on another Dodge site and thought to stop by and register. One can never have too many sites, right? :)

I don't know if this board resizes pics or not (such as those large ones in Photobucket), so I will post my CarDomain pics to keep the size down.
Some "during the swap" pics.
Transfer case and driveshaft.

Pumpkin.

Gutted.

The auto was also swapped for a manual transmission.

When I first got my car back and after the swap.

Somewhat recent pic of the engine bay.

Current pics.

I hope y'all like her, I know I sure do, lol. :)
Again, hello everyone.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the board, that is just badass! What's the link to the cardomain page, i'd like to see more if possible:thumb:

How long did it take to fit everything in place?
Well, I still can't post links until I've posted at least 5 times, but it is in my profile, sorry. But I can do this...
.............97 Dodge Avenger with a full 95 GSX conversion. Mods so far are.............
4G63 AWD conversion
> Rebuilt motor - 6 bolt block w/ a 2G head
> ARP studs
> Cometic Head Gasket
> FP Big28 turbo (21psi)
> 60mm bored 2g throttle body (Steve Monroe)
> 2.5" intake elbow (thanks to Dave Brode)
> 2g intake manifold, port matched out to 60mm
> FIAV delete
> ISC delete
> EGR delete
> Balance shaft delete
> 94 Hyundai valve cover (coming along, DIY clean and polish)
> 1G rods
> 2G pistons
> 1G CAS
> Forge 1G DV from Velocity Factor
> Extreme Turbo Systems FMIC 7" kit with short route 2.5" piping and bar & plate core
> Coolingmist water/alky injection kit
> Centerforce clutch
> SS clutch line
> Aeromotive AFPR+gauge
> Walhbro 255lp fuel pump
> AMS 780cc injectors
> Accel 8mm wires
> NGK BPR7ES plugs
> Injen Intake
> Ported exhaust mani
> 4 spider center diff
> Stiff motor mounts (driver & front)

Turbo-back
> 3" Hahn Racecraft eliminator downpipe
> Magnaflow High flow cat
> 3" Catback Magnaflow exhaust (dual tip)

> SS oil feed line
> Hallman manual boost controller
> DSMLink w/EPROM ECU (engine management)
> Fuel pump rewire
> Greddy FATT
> B&M clone short throw shifter
> Bearing on shifter links mod(creates a nice & tight shifter)
> AEM Wideband
> Prosport electronic boost gauge
> Prosport EGT gauge
> SS brake lines
> EBC RedStuff brake pads
> PowerSlot rotors
and all the other GSX suspension/brake parts that are needed to complete the swap.
That's it so far.
I'll keep posting mod pics and updating my mod list as I go along. It's a 4g63, there's a lot I can still do...
As you can see, it's nothing big. I've only got enough there to support 300 to the wheels, but I live in Hawaii. If I have anything more, I'll drive off the island, lol. A bigger turbo is in the future though, when I get back to the "mainland".

As for fitment, the 2G Eclipse is similar to the Avenger in just about every way, even the factory where both were made..Normal, Illinois, the old DSM plant. BTW, I didn't do the initial swap, a buddy of mine did. It took him about six months. He did it between school, work, and his GF, lol. Theoretically, it should only take about 3-4 weeks to do the complete swap. That's assuming everything needed was already gathered and all that's left to do is gut and replace. The cost of the swap was the price of a used DSM, so I really didn't lose out on anything but time.

· Registered
4,874 Posts
BAD ASS CAR!!!! :hail: Nice work, and welcome. Glad to have ya!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! It's much appreciated.

Thats just great. I was hopping some one would do an AWD on one of those.
Hows it handle? Have you ran it at the track?
Anymore build pics?
Sorry about all the ?'s.
Oh yeah :welcome:
There's four on the streets so far. Three somewhere on the mainland (one in New Jersey) and one here in Hawaii. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer the stock body over a kitted body. It just gives it a more sleeper quality IMO. My car is the only stock body out of the other three. As for handling...like a champ! Not as good as the EVO (no where near it IMO), but she handles a lot better now with AWD than she did as a FWD car. The swap was finished at the beginning of Dec. 05, right before I moved to Hawaii. Upon arriving to Hawaii, the track closed (well, it closed April 06), I didn't have much time (nor the space) to tune before it closed. Needless to say, I was pretty ticked about it. I'm not big on dyno numbers, since that's all it is to me...a number. That number means more to me when there's driver input...such as on a track (any track, really).

I don't have too many build pics from the guy that did the swap, I was more concerned about the actual swap completion, lol. Here's what I do have though.

Don't mind the T25 sized turbo, the FPBig28 flows roughly 520 or 530 CFMs (I forget which). It's perfect for Oahu.

Getting closer to the finish.

This pic was taken shortly before Jason finished and was coming to pick me up in my car. That blue Avenger is what started the whole swap. He's building another 4g63 to 2.4 and some big goodies. I took a ride in that car when it had a 50 trim and the interior was gutted...it scared the crap out of me because it was 10 times faster than what I was currently used to.

That was about it, I think.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks.
My name's John and I own a 1997 Avenger, the 2.5L model. I take that back, it used to have a 2.5L in there, but another Mitsu motor was swapped in its place. The 4g63 from a 1995 Mitsu Eclipse GSX. So...I now have a turbo AWD Dodge Avenger. I have a few mods listed on my CarDomain site if anyone is interested to see, you'll have to click my profile since I can't post URLs until after my fifth post though (as per rule).
I found this site doing research for someone on another Dodge site and thought to stop by and register. One can never have too many sites, right? :)

I don't know if this board resizes pics or not (such as those large ones in Photobucket), so I will post my CarDomain pics to keep the size down.
Some "during the swap" pics.
Transfer case and driveshaft.

Pumpkin.

Gutted.

The auto was also swapped for a manual transmission.

When I first got my car back and after the swap.

Somewhat recent pic of the engine bay.

Current pics.

I hope y'all like her, I know I sure do, lol. :)
Again, hello everyone.
nice

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing a very nice swap! a lot of people talk about doing it, but no one has actually done an awd conversion around here. Except maybe for the the twin engine crazy guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.