Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 89 Daytona ES 2.5ltr with unknown miles on it... It reads 152450 but it hasn't changed at all since I bought the car 3 weeks ago... The problem I am having is it stalls almost everytime I come to a stops an sometimes when I slow down to a crawl... As soon as I put it in Neutral an turn the switch it starts right up... While driving I sometimes can feel it stutter or buck I guess is the term.. It still has alot of power when running.. I have no problem with it stalling while driving (yet) only when I come to a stop... I changed the plugs, rotor, wires an cap friday morning (3/07/08).. Thinking I may have had a arc hitting my block.. I did a check for codes the codes I got was 12 ,37 an 21 in that exact order... could one of these be the problem or is it something else??? I'm not a mechanic so Lamemans turns will help alot if you reply back to me... Thank you.. I hope I gave enough info...

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help!! 89 daytona stalling

I have a 89 Daytona ES 2.5ltr auto trans with unknown miles on it... It reads 152450 but it hasn't changed at all since I bought the car 3 weeks ago... The problem I am having is it stalls almost everytime I come to a stops an sometimes when I slow down to a crawl... As soon as I put it in Neutral an turn the switch it starts right up... While driving I sometimes can feel it stutter or buck I guess is the term.. It still has alot of power when running.. I have no problem with it stalling while driving (yet) only when I come to a stop... I changed the plugs, rotor, wires an cap friday morning (3/07/08).. Thinking I may have had a arc hitting my block.. I did a check for codes the codes I got was 12 ,37 an 21 in that exact order... could one of these be the problem or is it something else??? I'm not a mechanic so Lamemans terms will help alot if you reply back to me... Thank you.. I hope I gave enough info...

· Administrator
26,469 Posts
Re: Help!! 89 daytona stalling

I would start by addressing the stalling on decel/stopping problem.
It sounds as if you have a dirty throttle body/AIS (automatic idle speed motor).
The procedure to correct is not difficult and this is a common problem.
The entire procedure is listed in a "sticky" in the "help" section titled "help with poor idle".
If you need any clarifacation or pics let me know.

· Registered
32 Posts

Sounds like the speed/distance sensor crapped out. It's on the top passenger side of the transaxle close to where the axle or intermediate shaft goes in. You have to get under the car to get to it.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

some of this stuff you have to do I'm all new to so could you please make this eazier for me to understand... I don't know alot of mechanical terms an such... also could you please send pictures how to do it if you have them..if not atleast what the part looks like an such... thank you for all your help...

· Administrator
26,469 Posts

Here are pics of the Throttle Body with location of the AIS and the Brake Booster so you can see the vacuum lines. If you are not sure the Throttle Body is located at the end of the Air Induction Hose on the Engine Side coming from the Air Cleaner Housing and the Brake Booster is located on the Firewall on the L/S (driver) of the engine compartment

· Registered
2,433 Posts

The odometer that doesn't work and the stalling at stop lights sounds like a speed distance sensor. It will be on your transaxle. You will need to pull off your airbox to help you get better access. It is close to where the passenger axle goes into the transaxle. It has one 8mm or 10mm bolt that holds it in and one electrical connection with two wires. Once you pull off the one bolt, you can try to move it side to side while pulling on it and it should come out. You could replace it with a used one or pick up a new one.

· Administrator
26,469 Posts

We may need some clarifaction. There is no VSS code set and he says the odometer does not work, did not say speedometer does not work.
Does the speedometer work? If not check the VSS circuit as stated.
The codes he has are 21(either O2 Signal or O2 Signal shorted high) and a code 37(PTU solenoid circuit, lock up converter).
The problem may very well be in the torque converter unlock solenoid.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The speedometer does work fine... the codes I got was 12, 37, 21 in that order... The car stutters when you first start it an put it into gear most of the time it stulls then will usual ride fine until you come to a stop it will then either stumble an catch itself or just stall out... I tried to put in Nuetral right be4 I stop but this didn't help still stalls... Naj thanks for the pics..It should be very helpful

· Banned
3,531 Posts
it depends wheter or not this is a turbo or NA engine? either way the 21 is the O2 sensor and if it is turbo then the 37 is a bad baro solenoid or most likey the vacuum hoses leaking near that sensor. if it is a na engine then the 37 is a bad ptu (part throttle unlock) solenoid.

address those issues first and it should be fine.

· Administrator
26,469 Posts

Let me know if you need the flow charts to diagnoise your fault codes.
Clear the codes first and drive the vehicle and see which ones return, you do not want to chase a problem that is intermittant or the flow chart will lead to replace pcm.
A non-turbo car will make a difference in cleaning the throttle body and AIS,I will get you new pics but check the codes first as I stated above.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

NAJ thank you for all your help... I hate to bother you but could you tell me how to clear the codes? it's just as easy as unhooking the battery an then waiting a lil bit an reconnecting???

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Today I went a head an put seafoam down the trottle body an in my gas.. drove it about 30miles an then I came home an disconnected my battery an drove it another 2 miles... only codes on it now are the 12 for recently unhooked battery an the 55 for end of codes... I still am having the stalling problem ( I think)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.