Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a mechanic and do not claim to be mechanically inclined. I just need an idea of what I am looking at here. My car 1988 Dodge Daytona/Shelby, was running fine and then boom. Heard a loud enough bang, it died and now won't start. The accelerator has tons of play, like no hydralic left and my clutch feels normal, however without pushing in the clutch it can easily be moved from 1st to 5th. My brake is stuck in an upward position and has not play. I was told to check the brake fluid which I did it appears full/fine. Can anyone give me any ideas before I put it in the shop and get the run around, I live in a small town and they take advantage of women often at the shop, just burns me. Thanks in advance for any advise or opinions.
T.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Sounds like and engine/transmission mount broke or fail off..

Do you have a camera? Take some pictures of the engine bay, up, down, side to side... etc..

I'd be happy to look at it for you, if you weren't so far away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My battery is toast in my camera, I can see what I can do though, I have a friend with a camera phone. What would I be looking for? It has me perplexed, especially the fact that it won't start. I appreciate you for your input.
T.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Most of the symptoms you describe are probably unrelated to the problem. It is normal to be able to shift easily between gears with no clutch. Your gas pedal is connected by a cable, so it should be unaffected by an engine failure. Your brake pedal is probably hard because your engine doesn't run and there is no vacuum assist to "soften" it.

Were you driving it when it banged, or idling? Does the engine turn over when you try to start it? Could be as simple as a broken timing belt (can cause backfiring), but a bit more information would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It turns over, but does not fire it won't start. I do have people out bringing it to my house now, once its here I will feel better as it was red flagged by Colorado State Patrol. No backfiring happening. It was driving real slow when the big bang happened, was going over a rural set of Railroad tracks to be exact, and we all know how rough they are. So maybe 5 mph at best, creeping over the bumps, actually did the bang as going over the bumps, then went dead, but was on the other side of the tracks thankfully. Does not smell of gas or oil when lifting the hood.

I really believe that I had to have the car on and clutch depressed to move the shifter from one gear to another, now it moves ultra smooth without the clutch depressed. I agree about the brake, could be because its not running that its stuck in place, but the accelerator still baffles me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am the luckiest girl, Thank God. They put it on a flat bed and brought it home. Then they took a look under the hood for me and IT is fixed. It was a connection that came loose when I went over those tracks. That is why I was not getting any spark.....luckily one of the guys that went out to get the car also has a Shelby.

Thank you so very much for your time and opinions and if its okay I may kick back and enjoy this forum

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
I am the luckiest girl, Thank God. They put it on a flat bed and brought it home. Then they took a look under the hood for me and IT is fixed. It was a connection that came loose when I went over those tracks. That is why I was not getting any spark.....luckily one of the guys that went out to get the car also has a Shelby.

Thank you so very much for your time and opinions and if its okay I may kick back and enjoy this forum
:)It's how us TDer's are... Hope you stick around, make some friends and have some laughs:nodding:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts