Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just talked to my mechanic and he got my car fixed!!! :D

well my tranny went out and it needed replacing so i bought a used tranny for 250 dollars then i sent it to my mechanic along with my car

the tranny i bought didnt work so i had to get another one so my mechanic is chargin me to install two trannys

BREAKDOWN:

2 tranny installs
2 CV axles
fluid for both trannys
fluid for cv axles

$475 for labor
$164.40 for axles, fluid, etc.

639.40 to pay to my mechanic (not to mention the 250 dollar tranny)

so a total of 889.40 for tranny and axles...

am i getting raped or is it just me??

· Registered
690 Posts
I'd say you got raped by the seller of the first tranny. Unless the mechanic made the original purchase, you can't blame him for charging twice the labor since he did it twice. Does seem odd with the charges on the cv axles and the fluid for them. They don't take fluid and unless your originals were bad there would be no need to change them.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well he said my cv boots needed replacing which they really did and he said that it would be easier to replace the whole axle... and he had to put fluid in the axles twice because he changed the tranny twice....

which i just exchanged the tranny for a diff one so it did only cost me 250 dollars for it...

but 475 dollars for labor is a freakin lot

· Registered
690 Posts
That would have been a good time to change the axles if they needed it, but again no seperate fluid needed for them since the differential uses the tranny fluid.
I ran into the same situation once. Bought a reman head for our quad 4 grand am. Head ended up leaking coolant because of a defect in materials. The mechanic was a friend of mine and I still ended up paying twice.
I don't know what you do for a living but would you be willing to work a day for free because someone else screwed up? I know I wouldn't.
If your gamble had paid off, your tranny job would have been cheap. Ended up costing you more but was still less than having a shop pull your tranny, rebuild it and put it back in.
If he had only done it once the labor charge would have been $237.50. That's really a heck of deal just too bad you had to pay it twice.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would have been a good time to change the axles if they needed it, but again no seperate fluid needed for them since the differential uses the tranny fluid.
I ran into the same situation once. Bought a reman head for our quad 4 grand am. Head ended up leaking coolant because of a defect in materials. The mechanic was a friend of mine and I still ended up paying twice.
I don't know what you do for a living but would you be willing to work a day for free because someone else screwed up? I know I wouldn't.
If your gamble had paid off, your tranny job would have been cheap. Ended up costing you more but was still less than having a shop pull your tranny, rebuild it and put it back in.
If he had only done it once the labor charge would have been $237.50. That's really a heck of deal just too bad you had to pay it twice.

ya thats about right.... he charged me 240 for my tranny in my old '99 grand am (which he said it was a night mare, and he had to redo the wiring for the tranny) then he added 50 dollars cause it was shiftin hard and he had to change a pin... so it was 290 for a pontiac tranny.... hes pretty decent but im a high school student making 6 an hour.... i work full time and go to school... just so i can pay for my hella fun money pit of a car.....

at the end of the day listenin to that boost spool up... its all worth it

even though i've put more money into it than its worth. lol

i love my daytona

· Registered
2,028 Posts
BREAKDOWN:

2 tranny installs
2 CV axles
fluid for both trannys
fluid for cv axles

$475 for labor
$164.40 for axles, fluid, etc.

639.40 to pay to my mechanic (not to mention the 250 dollar tranny)

so a total of 889.40 for tranny and axles...

am i getting raped or is it just me??

Life will rape you if you dont figure out how to do things for yourself. Thats why I do 98% off all the work myself, the 2% I call my buddy for advise and use his lathe or whatever.

· Registered
646 Posts
yea, what he said..... you took the gamble with the used part. maybe you should be angry at your local salvage yard. they hosed you on the trans, not the mechanics install. next time let him get it, then its his problem. i speak from experience. i have my own shop. i see and hear about this kind of stuff all the time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.