Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm back, been a while but here's what's goin on. Driving , no signs of trouble, as I'm turning on to next street my car dies, try immediately to restart, no good so I try to coast to curb, get in best I can. Wait a minute or 2 try to restart, starts and dies, again starts and dies, so next time I try playing with gas pedal, ok it starts and is surging power as I pump gas but still not enough to go, then it dies again. I check all vacuums, belts, bang on fuel tank in case somethings hung up, I even try hitting relays (you never know). It just starts and dies. Eventually battery's to dead to start. So, I tow it home put it on charger. Wait about 3 hours go to garage and it starts, it's running (Yeah). Uh Oh it dies again and now doing same thing starts but dies. Ok my expert friends. Fuel pump, gas filter or is it something else? We had a lot of snow, could something be wet and causing problem? BY the way it's a 89 yes 89 Dodge caravan 2.5 turbo. As always I appreciate your advice. Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why didn't I think of running the codes? I always do. I think I was toooo cold to think about it. So, I ran them now and all I'm getting is the 12 55 so, I'm really hoping it's something easier than a fuel pump. Maybe filter. Yes, it does seem like a fuel problem. Thanks for reminding me of codes, it just totally never came to mind. That's why I come here you guys never let me down THANKS

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Shoot down to the local auto parts chain store and see if they have a loaner fuel pressure tester. The test port is right on the fuel rail. You ground one of the pins on the diagnostics plug to actuate the ASD relay and you can see what pressure the pump is putting out. Speaking of which, pull the vacuum line to the regulator, if fuel comes out the regulator is shot, could still be shot even if you don't get any fuel - but the test gauge should indicate that. Could be as simple as a dirty contact on either the fuel pump or the ASD relay.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Tryingbe I replaced map sensor about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs ago but will check.
@Charged dust Will check it out.
Still hoping it's only a filter.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My bet is on the HEP under the distributor cap. It 's not part of the failure code circuit so you wouldn't see a code. The HEP controls the fuel pump an firing of spark plugs. I'd get a Chrysler part if possible the aftermarket HEP's don't seem to last long.

Code:
12 - Battery disconnected - interruption in circuit.
55 - End

Ron

·
Registered
393 Posts
My bet is on the HEP under the distributor cap. It 's not part of the failure code circuit so you wouldn't see a code. The HEP controls the fuel pump an firing of spark plugs. I'd get a Chrysler part if possible the aftermarket HEP's don't seem to last long.

Code:
12 - Battery disconnected - interruption in circuit.
55 - End

Ron
While you have the distributer cap off I'd check for condensation in the cap. If you had a lot of wet cold weather and snow in your area you may have a bad distributor cap or moisture build up.

Ron

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's right car still kept in garage. I have someone coming over to check things out. I'll let ya know what he says. Fuel pump was last replaced in 2008. I'm still hoping for something simpler. Hey Turismolover22 can you believe someone asked me if I had gas in car! I know I'm a girl but please cut me some slack. LOL

·
Registered
708 Posts
How bout ignition coil? When they go, they usually just die out of the blue after the motor heats up, then will work for a short time after the engine cools down to only leave you stranded again after they get some heat to them. With the coil mounted so close to the block, they heat up as the engine heats up.

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
That's right car still kept in garage. I have someone coming over to check things out. I'll let ya know what he says. Fuel pump was last replaced in 2008. I'm still hoping for something simpler. Hey Turismolover22 can you believe someone asked me if I had gas in car! I know I'm a girl but please cut me some slack. LOL
It happens. Hell when troubleshooting my daytona i forgot to put gas in it, and kept running diagnostics for an hour before having the Doh moment.

Like others have stated, it could also be a dying coil. Oils break down over time, and can cause intermittent running issues once they start to fail. If it is the coil, replace it with an accel brand super stock. The MSD brand coil they might try to sell you needs an external ballast resistor to match the factory setup. The accel brand does not.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@turismolover22, No you didn't. Too funny. Anyway the mechanic didn't show tonite. If he doesn't tomorrow, I guess it's taking a trip to Firestone. Waiting patiently. Anybody from Chicago here? Who could maybe check my car out?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all, Yes it was fuel pump. So, I fixed that and filter. All is good. Except, I have a question. And turismolover22 maybe you would remember, that's an 89 but different motor and I'am not sure what year that motor was, do you remember? Anyway mechanic comes out and tells me my firing order was wrong and said he had to look up order to fix . I'm a little confused, wouldn't that really make the car run shitty on a 4 cyl.? Plus I can't imagine how order got messed up. Personally, I think he's full of it. Maybe NAJ or someone can send me a diagram of correct firing order for wires, so I can double check. It's running ok, just has a little vibration to it. I really don't think the newer motor was older than a 96. And don't forget it's Turbo, if that matters on order. Thanks

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Firing order did not change from any year 2.2, from 81 to 95?

The distributor, when looked at and "read" in a clockwise direction, starting from the "top left" when viewed from the front.

1-3-4-2

The cylinder to the left, where the pulleys are, is cyl 1. Cyl 4 is on the transmission side.

And it really doesnt matter what year motor it has in it. The cam and crank determine the firing order, regardless ir what the computer "wants"

Make sure it is set this way. Cant say for certain what order the later 2.0/2.4 neon motors run at, but i know fords are different, as well as chevy, if memory serves me right.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts