Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
86 omni glh t1
put new alt in car problem when trying to turn car over two wires from alt. started smoking not ground wire or pos wire {the green ones**
replace a bad fuseable link
checked all fuses

and now no start
this is my first dodge l body and need some help thanks

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
both of the green wires or just one? which make of alternator is it. Hopefully it didn't smoke the computer. (computer controls charge)
Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just one of the wires was smoking replaced this wires and no start dash lights come on and every thing else its a new bosch alt on there

·
Registered
135 Posts
Couple quick things-what is battery voltage? Check to see if you have this voltage at battery terminal on starter. When key is turned to start, what voltage do you have on the small wire on starter?

Find the ASD relay, and put your finger on it then have someone turn the key to start and see if it clicks. They are known for going bad. If it doesnt, swap it with another relay that has the same part number that is not required to run the engine such as maybe the a/c or horn relay if they are same number, and then try again. If no click still, we got bigger problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so if i hear a clicking noise, bad asd relay? can't say or not but i though i heard it clicking every time the key was turned have to try with some help.
this relay (if bad) would cause the wires to melt/short going to the starter?

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, probably good asd relay.

When they go bad, they dont normally melt wires to the starter, they dont allow any voltage to flow to the starter at all.

Do you have melted wires?

Still need to find out what your voltage at the battery terminal on the starter is and also what the voltage on the the little wire is when the key is turned to start. Knowing those 2 things will really get this repair going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts