Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what I have is a set of Rods & pistons
told they were turbo II
also had conflicting information, some say all 2.5 turbos are forged rods.
some say only the actual intercooled turbo II, I dunno figure I'll ask the pro's :)
the rods have the #4323958
and the pistons are mahle #4483743
what am I looking at here?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had read that page already. guess I just missed a few parts of vital information on it.
my rods differed by the last digit to match the 87-88 turbo II rods.
mine being 4323958 and the ones on that page are listed as 4323957.
I could assume they are 87-88 TII rods, but we all know what happens when we assume things.
and I can't find any info on the part # of the pistons.

I'll just take from what I've already read that they are simply TII HD rods not forged and the pistons are stock bore 2.2 cast mahle's.
should be good for the 2.2 I'm building

Another question I have is.
from what I gather I should be able to build a 2.2 for my 86 laser with a 91 common block TBI 2.5 with the crank from my 2.2 and the rods & pistons I just aquired. by blocking the balance shaft oil holes. and drilling the holes for the turbo coolant and oil drainback. the question I'm not finding an answer to is the balance. the T2 rods I have are 699 grams and the crank I have would have been swinging 659 gram rods. wouldn't this require balancing with mallory metal making this an expensive proposition?
are these T2 rods with 2.2 pistons no good to me unless I find a 2.2 TII crank?

·
Registered
287 Posts
They are forged 2.5 T1 rods that were used from 88 and on. They are exactly the same as the 2.2 T2 rods. They were just given a different last digit to show they were used for the 2.5. All rods are the same for the 2.2 and the 2.5 except for the tall block version. If you need more info, just do a search for 4323958 on this site.
Frank H.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
They are forged 2.5 T1 rods that were used from 88 and on. They are exactly the same as the 2.2 T2 rods. They were just given a different last digit to show they were used for the 2.5. All rods are the same for the 2.2 and the 2.5 except for the tall block version. If you need more info, just do a search for 4323958 on this site.
Frank H.
Not all rods are the same.... 87-89 T2 rods are the Heavy duty ones as well as turbo 89 and newer rods. I think you meant they are all the same dimension.

from what I gather I should be able to build a 2.2 for my 86 laser with a 91 common block TBI 2.5 with the crank from my 2.2 and the rods & pistons I just aquired. by blocking the balance shaft oil holes. and drilling the holes for the turbo coolant and oil drainback. the question I'm not finding an answer to is the balance. the T2 rods I have are 699 grams and the crank I have would have been swinging 659 gram rods. wouldn't this require balancing with mallory metal making this an expensive proposition?
are these T2 rods with 2.2 pistons no good to me unless I find a 2.2 TII crank?

When using common block make sure you use a common block crank (89 and newer). Turbo coolant hole is in the block already (just has a screwed in plug in it), but you will have to drill the oil drainback and crossdrilled holes between the cylinders. Whatever crank you use should work fine with the heavier rods you use. Only the 89 t2 crank will work in a commonblock. 87 and 88 t2 cranks will not work in a commonblock. You can use a tbi 2.2 commonblock crank (not forged, but shouldn't matter - lots of guys are running big hp from cast cranks).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok to clarify things I got the pistons and rods off E-bay with the description as follows

"complete set of 4 Mahle pistons with the connecting rods from the intercooled 2.2 t2 turbo dodge/chrysler engine. These are the strongest rods offered from the factory and have the full floating wrist pin. They are standard size and have only been used for about 2000 miles since they were bought new. "
paid a whopping $51.00

I plan on dropping them into my 86 T1 2.2 that has LW rods. from what I've read there is no problem using the heavier rods. because as a 4 cylinder swings a rod up one's goin down at the same time that balances it out. I'd like to build with a stronger block than the 86 T1 block. but all I have are 85 and 86 T1 blocks. or N/A 2.5 CB's
Maybe I can find a way to spring for some forged 2.5 pistons for floating pins.
and build up a 2.5 CB since 2.2 CB's are non-existant.
anyhow, many many thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's why they wre called commonblock motors 89-up. The blocks are identical on 2.2/2.5, just the cranks/rods were different. 2.5L CB has a longer stroke than the 2.2L CB motor. This was accomplished by longer throws on the 2.5L crank. Bores are the same size, and pistons are slightly different between the 2 motors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts