Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 90 tona with the a523, I lost my tans bell to block bolts so a buddy brought some. Is there any specific way the bolts go ? does someone have a diagram or could somebody tell me wich bolt first from the very bottom. The car has been sitting for 6/7 months and my memory is bad. once the trans is bolted up, can I bolt the started on after ? also, is the bottom of the flywheel supposed to be exposed or is there a shield? I have the bolts numbered for easy ref.

:First TD::bash::bang head:tsktsk-tisk::mad:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj630/Nathan_Huzan-Aalen/Picture54_zpsec69882c.jpg

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
You could go to a junk yard and pull the bolts from one of those motors and make notes then and even keep a few. There is a shield and maybe you could get it right there and then. The bolts in the picture might not be the exact correct combination of bolts you need.

I just did what you are asking when I helped my son change the clutch on his '84. It took a couple of weeks and we forgot to number/locate where they came from as well.

My bolts look a little different, some of which were with pointed/turned down nose/tips, and not threaded all the way to the end.

My strategy/decision making was:

1. I held the bolt up to the "best guess" and decided it was long enough, but would not bottom out if screwed into iron block.

2. Was long enough to just reach the other side of the aluminum without sticking out too much.

My idea was 100% of usable thread usage without bottoming in iron, or sticking out of aluminum bell housing on the bolts that thread into the bell housing. Bolt too short=weak connection in aluminum, too long into blind hole=no clamping, too long into aluminum=wasted length and probably wrong location.

Most bolts don't stick out more than 1-2 threads at their tips/points when screwed into aluminum bell housing.

These are my guesses for the bolts shown:
My '84 had a giant bolt holding the rear of the starter like 6,
7,8,9 maybe front motor mount + 6 if not used on starter
1,2,3 maybe through aluminum holes into iron block
4,5 through iron holes into aluminum bell housing

Clean your holes with carb cleaner & spray tube/hose to make sure you don't falsely bottom into dirt or rust, maybe even use a thread tap to clean the holes as well. You should be able to screw them almost all the way with finger strength.

Good luck, YMMV
Byghtn

·
Premium Member
10,182 Posts
Last i knew, 2 of thevlong ones go through the starter through the transmission first. The shorter one goes in the bottom starter hole. Another long one goes in the front through the motor mount. The rest of the small ones, in any bottom hole. The two top holes use the last of the long bolts, if i am not mistaken.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
ok from 1 to 9

1.2. are bottom bell housing bolts that go threw the block into the trans case

3.5. go in the top of bell housing into the block,

6.7.8.9 go threw the motor mounts on the front of the block and the bottom of the front and rear mount bracket into trans case,

and the number 4 looks like a starter bolt,

·
Registered
989 Posts
ok from 1 to 9

1.2. are bottom bell housing bolts that go threw the block into the trans case

3.5. go in the top of bell housing into the block,

6.7.8.9 go threw the motor mounts on the front of the block and the bottom of the front and rear mount bracket into trans case,

and the number 4 looks like a starter bolt,
I suspect there is a 'Rain Man' in our group lol. If anyone would know it would be turbomini!

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
I suspect there is a 'Rain Man' in our group lol. If anyone would know it would be turbomini!
thanks i have a thing for memorizing where the bolts come from lol not sure why

1 - 10 of 10 Posts