Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is jeff. i am thinking of buying an 86 daytona turbo z with only 87k orig miles. the guy im buying it from is in his 70's, doesnt drive it much, and never uses the boost. hes owned for the past 10 years. when driving the veh runs great until i give it full throttle. at that point it falls on its face. i believe it might be just carboned up, since the veh never gets driven very hard. but i would like some ideas as to what might cause something like that. the veh does boost at 1/2 -3/4 throttle and runs great, just when the throttle is wide open is when it does it. any ideas as to wht might cause this?

thank you for all your help.

· Premium Member
4,358 Posts
check vacuum line to wastegate can.engine will run okay but under wot will hit fuel cutoff. also check wastegate to see if it moves.They stick if not used.A friend of mine's Mom's car did this because she didn't get into boost .

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi I have posted a problem with my 89 2.2 T2 and have had similar problem before im where i am now i would suggest check everything before trying to go wot harness fuel pressure make sure the gauges are reading properly
( probably want to install new gauges for boost and others ) while mine was under boost not wanting to go any where it let go and lost oil pressure the vehicle spins and nothing fires still trying to work out what happend but thanks to NAJ i have a starting poiint i will post with you again when i know more just dont want to see any one else with the same problem im having
just stay out of boost untill sure nothing is wrong

if you want to read my post and the responses the post is vehicle not starting under the turbo help thread hope that it can help you before big problems arise

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
Yes +1 on the vacuum lines and waste gate issues
I have an 86 laser (pretty much a daytona) and it had similiar issues.
First thing I would do before going into boost and going WOT all over the place is do a general tune up
Oil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc.
From there I would thoroughly check all vacuum lines for leaks, holes, brittleness etc! If any lines are suspect Its pretty cheap to just replace them.
Is it an auto or a stick (just curious)
AND HOW ABOUT SOME PICS =)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ITS A 5SPD MANUAL. REMINDS ME OF THE CAR IN CANNONBALL RUN THAT FRANK SINATRA DROVE ... I CAN'T POST THE LINK BUT IF YOU GO TO DENVER CRAIGSLIST, CARS & TRUCKS, TYPE IN DAYTONA AND MAX OF 3000 ITS THE 1986 Dodge Turbo Z - Daytona Shelby Handling - $2750 (Westminster)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.