Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 84 turbo z here that starts and idles like it should but when you try to drive it it sputters as soon as you accelerate .so i sat in the drive way reving it and came to relize it dose it mainly during hard acc. but if you do it slow it really dont do it .looked at the boost gauge as i did it (bothways )and saw that it dose it when the turbo spools .and sometimes back fires through the intake .timing right ?well i cked it with the light and it wasnt off ,i didnt go into by the belt yet (thats tommorow if you guy say i should)all the plugs,wires,cap,rotor and pick up are all new . im also throwing code 23 ,changed itand still has code and still have problem.please help me out as i need this car to drive everyday .

scott

·
Administrator
25,739 Posts
All of my info says code 23 (Air Charge Temp Sensor) did not start until 1985.
Is the power loss lamp on? If so the vehicle is in failure and the condition needs to be corrected first.
Is this an 84 system? If so recheck your codes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your correct with the code but there is a charge temp sensor on it and it is an84 plus i got it from my budies napa and i was there when he looked it up an it was listed (serious discounts ) or i would havewent somewhere else

·
Administrator
25,739 Posts
Here is the flow chart for an 85, maybe yours is late production 84 and Chrysler made a running change, I do not know for sure.
I would certainly check cam timing if you are backfiring but if the vehicle is in failure due to an ACT sensor code I would correct that first.
Disconnect the connector at the ACT and with the key on/engine off backprobe the 2 terminals with a voltmeter, you should read 5 volts, if so replace the sensor, if not you have a problem with the 5 volt reference line or the signal return line.
Post back what you find.
Where in N.J are you located?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
garfield well i said f--- it and changed the fuel reg,pump,filter,coil,plugs,and the air charge temp sensor for the code 23. after all that it still dose it !so tommorrow im going after the timming belt . i dont know what else i can do and my buddy needs his car for a dd .is there anywhere on this site or any other site where i can get a picture of the timing marks or any one tell me were to alline them to .im not to familiar with the 2.2 as much as the 3.0s

·
Administrator
25,739 Posts
Where is Garfield? North? I am in South Jersey, 15 minutes from the Walt Whitman Bridge and Phila.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so your saying chek the knock sensor ,heck i didnt replace that one ,im going to go and ck the timing to be on the safe side so i can rule that out ,if that dont work i dont know what will maybe alittle TNT . it allways fixes everything no really if that dont wrk ill be posting agian i quess.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first thats pretty interesting and im just going to change the map today and how could i ck the knock sensor befor replaceing ,my pockets are gettingh worn thin and my brain is getting screwed up i havent sleeped in two days cause i cant stop thinking about it

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
You shouldn't be buying new parts to tryout.Surely you can find a salvage yard to get the small parts Knock sensor tps ais etc.You can't expect to replace every part on these cars and expect it to fix it.I've been that route believe me! I started replacing stuff from parts cars,but had no 84 for map so I bought a new one(expensive).I did as you are doing to find out the knock sensor was at fault.If all your vacuum lines are okay I think you should try a salvage tps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im in bergen county i guess it is considered nothern . you knowi ha dhte hole thing apart and i seen i had a little slop inthe belt and i never messed withit.cause i cked the timing todaynagian and it is moving around a lot (the mark).we put in the new map and its the same .i dont know how much more he wants to spend on trying to find out whats wrong we might change the knock sensor ,its up to him .the junkies around here are so exspensive and the only one that had stuff has like three cars in our section and there all neons . i would like to talk to you if posible if you feel up to it calling me ill pm you my number,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts