Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my friend and I removed the head on my r/t to replace the head gasket/ head studs and turbo. When we went to remove the crankshaft pulley to get the timing belt off we removed the 5 bolts that hold it to the lower timing gear and couldnt get it to come off. We even tried a puller. My question is how does this thing come off? i dont need to remove the bolt in the crankshaft do I? I know this seems dumb but we couldnt get it off and ended up cutting the timing belt to get the head off (replacing the timing belt anyway) because the head has to go to the machine shop tomorrow morning to get resurfaced. something else that sucks... I ordered the 11mm arp studs from turbosunleashed thinking that they were the ones for the tIII, well theyre too short, looks like Ill need to have some overnighted to me since I need this thing running by monday.
thanks

Jerry

·
Registered
945 Posts
Crank pulley......

When I check my alignment marks, for timing, I remove the crank pully by taking the 5 smaller bolts out and then I use my impact wrench to loosen the larger center bolt (my impact is a 12v and plugs into the lighter).

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'd give the pulley a few medium strength wacks (maybe start with a rubber mallet). Once you remove the 5 bolts, it should come right off.

Mine had a little rust holding it on when I first removed it, but I got it off with some help from my “hammer wrench”.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K for some reason we tried for about a half an hour the day before, but last night we just gave it one more good blow with the mallet and it went flying off almost hitting my friend in the face! Thanks for the help guys.
Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts