Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a code 36. For the waate gate solinoid. How can I diag this before just replacing it. Right now if I take it easy and don't push my car too hard it functions fine. If I were to pull out and floor my car the boost gauge would go up to alittle past ten and the car will continue to pull this high boost for a few seconds..then its like it knows either the wastegate is not opening or something and it either cuts the fule or spark for a moment till the boost goes down. If I continue to push the car it will do this cycle until I ease of the throttle. It is automatic and I'm thinking before it shifts maybe it wants to open the w/g a bit to lower boost. Again I'm in need of sum help form you dodge pros. Thx

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
If you are setting a code for the wastegate solenoid you have an electrical issue with the circuit.
The controller uses Map Voltage to read vacuum/pressure and duty cycles the wastegate solenoid, it has no idea if vacuum/boost is present, it only knows if electrical load changes when it is actuated.

If you have access to a scanner you can go to actuator tests and actuate the wastegate solenoid.
If not...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you by chance check the Vacuum lines? I had the same trouble with my '86 LeBaron 2.2 turbo after I first rebuilt it. Turns out that I had not gotten the vacuum line back on the wastegate actuator securely, and it had come off. Ran like hell for about 5 seconds and then shut down, unless I lifted my foot. After reattaching the vac line, it ran normal, if less aggressively.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you by chance check the Vacuum lines? I had the same trouble with my '86 LeBaron 2.2 turbo after I first rebuilt it. Turns out that I had not gotten the vacuum line back on the wastegate actuator securely, and it had come off. Ran like hell for about 5 seconds and then shut down, unless I lifted my foot. After reattaching the vac line, it ran normal, if less aggressively.
Did u get a code? I'm thinking that I might have switched the two vac lines going back over the valve cover. But one runes to the egr and one to the w/g accuator. I haven gotten a chance to mess with it yet. Did the car do anything else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naj do you have a vac diagram specifically for my 87. And the sollenoid for the w/g has two vac lines on it. It shouldn't matter witch line comes into the sol. from the mani right? Its not specifically one side for in frm mani..and out to acctuator? I replaced sum vac lines after the main for comming from my vac block your left with two one for egr and other for turbo. If I switched them and the egr wasn't functioning what kind of problems would happen. Cuz other than than the boost prob my car runs great.

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never checked for a code. A mechanic friend told me that the computer had an overboost and over-rev limiter built in, and I should check for a stuck wastegate. That's when I found the loose hose. I had to physically feel it. It was lying right next to its connector, and look secure. It ran normally, as long as I did not put my foot down. If I did, it would scream for a few seconds, and then just stop. Scared me the first time I did it. I thought I had broken it! After sorting that, and a few other things out, it gave me 4 years of pleasant service. I made the mistake of loaning it to my ex and she hit a deer with it, which make repair uneconomical, and she didn't even offer to have it fixed..... Imagine that.........

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Wastegate actuator does NOT work on vacuum, it works on positive pressure (boost pressure).

How Boost Is Controlled
The amount of boost produced by the turbo is controlled with another device called a wastegate. The wastagate is a large valve that sits at the exhaust inlet to the turbo that, when opened, causes the exhaust gasses to bypass the exhaust turbine instead of through it. The further the wastegate is opened, the more exhaust is bypassed and less boost is produced. 1984 2.2L turbo engines used a mechanical wastegate actuator (the device that controls the wastegate) calibrated to produce a maximum of 7 psi. All later models had the wastegate actuator controlled by a vacuum solenoid, which was controlled by the logic module. A spring in the actuator closes the wastegate (by pulling on the rod). The back-side of the actuator diaphram is connected to the intake manifold. As pressure builds up in the manifold, the actuator rod pushes out and the wastegate opens. This pressure is bled off by a solenoid that is modulated (switched on and off quickly) by the logic module. The longer the duty cycle (amount of time it spends turned on) of the solenoid, the higher the boost pressure that is produced. There were two different configurations used to accomplish this, depending which turbocharger was installed on the vehicle. The function of both is the same and the only real difference is where the manifold pressure comes from.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/perf/turboinfo.html

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
Your original problem was a Wastegate Solenoid Circuit issue with a Code 36.
Has that been corrected?

PM sent with diagnostics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.