Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im new to these cars im normally a chevy guy but I got this on trade. It has the 2.0 dohc chrylser 420a with a knock in the bottom sounds to be coming from the passenger side of the motor. The car is overall nice so I want to keep it as it seems to be a fun lil car. How easy is it to swap 4g63 motors into these 1995cars avengers? Is it worth it or too much trouble or is it a easy swap. Also what kind of prices can I expect for either the chryllser 420a or 4g63

·
Administrator
24,993 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

Not sure how much info you will find here since you are working on a Mitsubishi platform but I will contact some members who may be able to answer your questions.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry, I can't help, but others might be able to. I am not a wrench, but have had MANY YEARS of experience with stuff happening to my cars.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
the A420 is a 2.0 Neon engine.

I would buy a 2.4 turbo engine, SRT or PT. Then use your A420 top end and megas squirt to run the engine. The only real difference is the direction of air flow through the engine. People stick the A420 head on SRT 4s. So you can do the other and add the 2.4 turbo engine. The 4G63 is a crank walking POS unless you drop many thousands into them. The SRT / PT 2.4 turbo is a great engine to start with and you can make great power without adding custom internals. Also get the OBX posi and the booger bushings for the shifter. I also like the ES body kit and wheels, great looking car.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
the A420 is a 2.0 Neon engine.

I would buy a 2.4 turbo engine, SRT or PT. Then use your A420 top end and megas squirt to run the engine. The only real difference is the direction of air flow through the engine. People stick the A420 head on SRT 4s. So you can do the other and add the 2.4 turbo engine. The 4G63 is a crank walking POS unless you drop many thousands into them. The SRT / PT 2.4 turbo is a great engine to start with and you can make great power without adding custom internals. Also get the OBX posi and the booger bushings for the shifter. I also like the ES body kit and wheels, great looking car.
I am a personal fan of the 4g63 and aslong as you run a 6 bolt set up, crank walk is a overdone myth. Not to say it is isn't prevelant but it is not a POS. It is still one of the best horsepower holding 4 cyl's in existence. But I do concur that an srt4 turbo motor would be an easier swap as the srt motor has been installed many times in 420a powered vehicles. The srt block is set up for easy power right out of the box and there are multiple standalone or fuel piggyback options like greddy emanage, megasquirt etc.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
There has been MANY 4G63 owners that turned to TDs over the years, because they cost huge money and break. Last time I watched NHRA Compacts there wasn't a 4G63 in pro FWD, Hot Rod or the all motor class. The upper Turbo classes were dominated by the Chevy Ecotech, with Dodges 2.2 T3 and the 2.4 at there heels. I think the 4G63 is a great race engine when comparing it to Asian engines though.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
the problem is any cam Gary doesn't like or head he doesn't like, "doesn't exist" on his site. The TBI isn't listed, or a 655 head. The cam specs needed are LSA too, which is big for deciding a cam with a turbo. No LSA listed on any of them. Another good one to add to the FAQ section would be a real cam list :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts