Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get home in a snow storm and i got shoved into the highway median. Cosmetically nothing is wrong but when i went to start the car again she didn't go. I got it in my garage to begin diagnosing the problem.

its an 89 daytona 2.5 turbo. The fuel pump appears to be working. When i pushed the valve in on the fuel rail, gas shot out pretty good. I checked timing and thats 100% correct. I looked all over for loose connections/unplugged and reconnected everything. I checked spark plug #1 for a spark and it was there. I'm all out of ideas and really missing my wheels! Any ideas anybody?

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Any fault codes at all? Does the car turn over but not start when you turn the key...or does it do nothing when you turn the key, not even turn over? Do headlights dim when you try to start the car? If so, check those battery cable ends and confirm a good charge on battery.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
First thing's first: check for codes.

Yes, the HEP does tell the injectors when to fire. The HEP can go bad on either side, injector control or spark control. There is a seperate fault code for both.

·
Administrator
26,194 Posts
Find out what is missing, spark, fuel or both.
Battery MUST be fully charged.
Remove the spark plugs and check for fouling, if the plugs are fuel fouled they MUST be cleaned and/or replaced.
If the plugs are fouled disconnect the fuel pump connector when diagnostics involve cranking the engine or they will foul again.
1)Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and hold 1/4" from a good ground.
2)Crank the engine for 10 seconds and watch for spark.
Spark should be strong and consistant, count 1-2 sparks as no spark.
3)If spark is present perform the same test at the plug using a screwdriver in the end of
the plug wire to ground.
4)If spark was not present in step 2 check the ASD Relay circuit.
5)Locate the underhood diagnostic connector
6)With the key on/engine off ground the DB/YL wire
7)Power(battery voltage) should be present at the + coil, DG/BK wire at the injector
harness and fuel pump.
8)If power is not present at those components repair the ASD Relay Circuit.
9)If power is present remove the ground from the diagnostic connector.
10) While cranking the engine check for power at the + coil.
11)If power is not present the issue is with the HEP Circuit.

Post Back with results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.