Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may know, I dyno'd the Charger for the first time last fall to see where everything was at. It was apparent to me after analizing the outcome, that the weak link was the 57 trim turbo. I believe I made it apparent that a turbo swap would be in the works, I just needed to nail down which one to go with. After carefull consideration it was the Holset He 351 that fit the build. This turbo should be capable of 600 WHP on a properly built 16v, so I figure 500 shouldn't be out of the Q with the ol' 8valver! Here's some prelimanary mock-up pics on a mtr that was lying around the shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have fun mounting the wastegate.
Actually the W/G should mount better than the stocker on the hybrid I was running. I'm thinking of running the Holset W/G, smaller and tighter sprung. I can use the bracket that's already there(just re-clock it) and it should be good to 40+psi! :D

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like it fits pretty good on the motor, might have to pick one of those up. :)
Not bad considering I just drilled a stock exhaust mani for the T3 flange and bolted it up. Exhaust won't clear the P/S pump the way I want to run it though. I'm going to change up to the new style pump, I think there's about 3-4"'s clearance to be had there.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The W/G's adjustable, I'm dialing it down to as low as I can(and still keep the flap shut) and see if it's 20psi or less. If not, I guess my street tune will be 25psi instead! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More pics, this is the 450whp ported exhaust mani sporting a new bolt pattern and opened up for the throat of that big Holset. (and a fresh coat of paint)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hows the firewall clearance?
That's a GOOD Q. It's also the reason I mocked it up on another mtr before I pulled the mtr out of the Charger. I measured back from a point on the head and then checked the Charger clearance. It fit's with 1/8-1/4" clearance. :D I massaged it (the firewall) with a rubber malet, just to be sure. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This should give a better idea of what I was thinking of. Turbo is now chopped, clocked, wastegated and tig'd back together. My 57 trim W/G actuator use to come within 1/32" of rubbing the intake. This one clears no prob!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This one shows the clearance on the 4" exhaust with the P/S. If you can picture the old style pump with the lines going in the back, they interfear with the cast piece as it sits. (without even adding a 90) I've never tried running a new style pump in an L-body, but the clearance looks insane! 3-4" on the back of the pump for sure!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking good. I also lightly massaged my firewall to make sure the HX40 fit....
Thanks, ya I just tapped it in, maybe a 1/4", like a slight oil can, you can't even notice it has moved.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
the intake looks new too. Shorter runners and more plenum volume than the last one?

with a DOHC Neon head and one of my mexican exhaust manifolds I had over a 1/2" more room to the firewall than the garret on an 8v.

I am doing an "econo" build on my wagon. Think it would fit with a 2 piece and a K body without hammering the firewall?

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the intake looks new too. Shorter runners and more plenum volume than the last one?
Nope, same intake. Everything stays the same so I can get a direct comparo to my 450whp dyno with the 57 trim. My goal is to have my torque curve straighten out up top thus raising my HP too 500 without loosing anything under the curve.(and all at less boost) ;) Having said that I now have a 4" dump (because the Holset has a 4" out) I dyno'd the 57 trim through full exhaust so the dump on the 57 trim would have been 10hp for sure + better spool!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts