Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, seems like there is a wealth of knowledge here.

I have searched the forum, however I can't seem to find what I need. I am interested in using a Holset for my BMW E30 which is a 2.5L I6. The engine is a strong candidate for boost and many run holset's, usually HX35's with 12cm^2 and even 14cm^2's.

I was just wondering what type of Holset turbo's and their associated sized exhaust housings came on what year Dodge Cummins? I understand that the automatics (on some years) were HY35 and had the 9cm^2 housing? Is there a documented link/page that someone can forward me that lists the dodge diesel cummins models and the type of turbo and housing size that they run?

I'm looking for a HX35 with a 12cm^2 housing that is externally gated specifically. What does this come on if any?

Thank you in advance

Mike

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I dont think any of the Holsets used on the Dodges were externally gated. from 89-93 was the H1C which is esentially a HX35, non-wastegate. Then from 94 through 200X was the HX35 w/12cm on standards trucks and HY35 w/ 9 cm on the autos. Im not sure what hear the HE351 came out but it has a different discharge on the compressor.

Most people get a HX35 from the mid to late 90s, you can upgrade compressors to a HX40 if needs be.

·
Banned
443 Posts
No External wastegates, all were internal and/or non wastegated. You can get an aftermarket non wastegated 12cm housing if you wish, or even a 14cm non wastegated.

89-91 cummins had H1C turbo a 21cm non WG'd turbine
92-93 has H1C with 18.5CM non WG'd turbine
94 has a WH1C with a 12CM wastegated housing
95-98 have the HX35 with 12cm wastegated housing and the outlet is 3'' V band
99-02 manual tranny trucks have HX35 with a different outlet with a neck and ball/socket flange
99-00 auto's still had HX35 but with ball/socket flange also
01-02 auto's have the HY35 with 9CM wastegated turbine and ball/socket flange

The best choice is to find an HX35 from a 95-98 truck since they have a 3'' V band outlet and it's easy to start with. Or if you are going to an external gate with a non wastegated 12 or 14cm housing then it doesn't matter what turbo you get except for the HY35 the housing's do not interchange because the turbine wheel is smaller.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Pretty sure the 89-91.5 had the 18.5 92 had a 21 and then in 93 went back to the 18.5.

The HY is also a clamp style turbine housing not the bolt together like the HX.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Not sure on that one. There are a few other couple minor things that I didn't feel the need to elaborate. Like 01' California trucks have a 2mm smaller inducer on the HX35 and all 02's have it. There are also some differences in the compressor on the older 1 tons (89-93), some of them have a slightly larger wheel on the H1C. It's funky. I would still suggest finding a 95-98 HX35.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Great info.

I will probably keep a look out for the 95-98. The 3" V-band is what I'm looking for.

Is it possible to find a non waste gated 12cm^2 exhaust housing? How do all the diesel performance shops get/sell these housings?

Were the compressors on most HX35W similar in size?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
443 Posts
Yes you can get a non-wastegated 12cm housing. The HX35's from 95-00 will all be the same on the compressor side, so with an 01' if you don't get a california emission model. All 02's got the california emission turbo, the compressor has a 2mm smaller inducer. I wouldn't be afraid of that though, the compressor still flows like 58-59 PPM and the larger flows 60PPM, not a huge difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts