Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a used mini and was thinking of putting a HomeLink garage door opener in it. These things are mighty handy and can replace up to three garage openers, plus they can turn on lights, etc.. I scored two units at two local boneyards today for a total of less than $5, complete with the LHS sun visors they were in (I don't think the yard operators looked too closely at the visors).

I couldn't use the whole visor so the next step was to remove the HomeLink from it, which is not that easy since the visor is not meant to come apart. The plastic bezel with the three buttons will pry off with a flat-bladed screwdriver. After that you pretty much have to strip off the upholstery. Then you can carefully pry out the unit (it's about 2.5"x3"x.6"). If you want to rescue the wiring It's probably easier to disassemble the whole plastic visor, which folds together like a clamshell and can be pried apart with a screwdriver and some effort. Then take out the innards and throw the rest away.

I could not figure out the polarity of the self-contained HomeLink unit (there are only two inputs on mine; a +12 and ground). I looked all over the web and finally found a good article where a guy took a Chrysler unit and remote mounted it in an Audi. This is slick because you can hide the unit and put the switches and LED wherever you want. The link is: 2007 Audi A3 Homelink Install

Incidentally, the + connector is the one closest to the corner of the unit. If your car sits outside your garage, wire the HomeLink to a switched 12v source. Otherwise, someone could get into your car and then open your garage.

Have fun! I hope someone can use this information.

Dodgeboy77

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Those are pretty easy to wire just 2 wires, I locked myself out of my house and had to rip the homelink out of my visor and hot wire it to the battery to get into my garage and into my house.

· Registered
193 Posts
Looking to do this on a '91 Daytona... the visors have seen better days, so I'd like to replace them. Have not seen any more recent posts on this, so does anyone know if any later model visors will fit the Daytona size wise?

· Registered
4,660 Posts
^Genius.. :p
for locking myself out or MacGivering into the house? :)

about the 91 daytona- you could take them to an upsholstery shop and see if they can help- pretty sure 92 and up are the same.

· Registered
193 Posts
Thanks, but I am looking for something with the Homelink buttons on it, and while I'm doing this lighted mirrors on each side (my car is pre-wired for these). It is a lot easier than rigging an OH console.

I looked at a JY today & the Sebring ones are too short- most of the later model Mopar/GM cars with this feature are about 12" from center to center on the mounting points, the Daytona is 14.5". The LHS is a little over 13" and at this point is the closest I've seen.

If I have to move the inner mount point, I'm probably going to go with a pair from a late model Cadillac- they have the Homelink & a voice recorder built in and the mounts are three point like the Daytona.

· Registered
193 Posts
Here you go:

Visors are from a 2003 Cadillac CTS, $62/pair shipped on ebay.

Installed:

Lighted mirror:

New & old inner holes for clips, 3.25" further out in my case:

Cut off old connectors (car & visors), add wire for ground to roof rail, use bullet connectors, make wiring long enough to go through headliner:

Similar mounting points, start w/ screw in back hole and use other two as guides where to drill:

Old & new visors:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.