Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my supposed stock rebuilt 2.5T1 and it has been giving me nonstop surprises. Found cracked piston #4 and new pistons are different so all 4 are out now and checking the bearings it looks like it's .25mm under. So the stock set I got are not going to work and then I get this surprise...
20210501_204316.jpg

20210501_204004.jpg

The crank looks fine and it always had good oil pressure. Are these real bad? And should I polish the crank somehow?
Should I go with the same bearings or try Aluminum or Federal Mogul?

·
Premium Member
9,054 Posts
those don't look too bad,
if the crank is smooth w/o any noticeable grooves then you can give the crank a quick polish and put another set of .25mm in

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
190 Posts
And don't forget to check clearance on the new ones.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those don't look too bad,
if the crank is smooth w/o any noticeable grooves then you can give the crank a quick polish and put another set of .25mm in
Motor is still in the car. How and what to use to polish the journals?

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
190 Posts
Plastigauge? I was assuming if the crank spins after assembly it should be fine with same .25mm bearings....
There could be too much clearance. “While you are in there check” is what I was thinking.

·
Registered
87 CSX, 88 Shadow, 89 CSX
101 Posts
Everyone in here seems to be so mechanical savvy and I can barely change my oil lol. Sometimes I feel slightly out of place:whistle:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone in here seems to be so mechanical savvy and I can barely change my oil lol. Sometimes I feel slightly out of place:whistle:
I got a head off and piston out in 4 hours.
Still can't even start putting it back together. Much rather be in your boat...

·
Premium Member
9,054 Posts
for the polish you'll use some 'emery paper' ,
it comes in rolls usually 1" wide, , so its easy to wrap around cylindrical surfaces ;)
IDK what grit yu'd want, I'd prolly go to my local machine shop or competent auto shop, they can cut you off 12" to play with and maybe give some more advice, or youtube it ..

and yes plastigauge all 4 to make sure ..

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Many mistakes are made when guys assume things.

Success comes from taking the time to double check everything.

Thanks
Randy

Plastigauge? I was assuming if the crank spins after assembly it should be fine with same .25mm bearings....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts